Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

PHP version and plugins

Quote Reply
PHP version and plugins
How will the new PHP version interact with existing plugins? Will there be two versions of plugins?

And probably the #1 new plugin for the PHP version will be the updated vBulletin2.2 plugin. Any timeframe for that?
Quote Reply
Re: [Doug Nelson] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Hi,

The PHP version does not currently support plugins. Whether it does or not, will depend on how well received it is, and how much of a demand for pugins there is.

The templates are in php, so you can put any php code you like in your templates. This should make it easy to do any sort of integration you need with other php systems.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Quote:
The PHP version does not currently support plugins. Whether it does or not, will depend on how well received it is, and how much of a demand for pugins there is.
I haven't been following the forums too closely of late, so this is the first I've seen of this. Alex, are you saying the possibility of the PHP version supporting plugins is dependent on user demand? If so, then I DEMAND IT. :) I thought it had to do more with technical reasons?

I've been sticking with Links SQL v1.x until the PHP version matches the feature set of the Perl version...

Dan
Quote Reply
Well I am impressed with that PHP version and am badly in need of the alphabet bar plugin. Once it is out, I will purchase it, together with gossamer mail (because of vbulletin plugin).
Quote Reply
Re: [buca] PHP version and plugins In reply to
I'm in need of the PHP Plugins feature too Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Hi,

Me too, I do want this feature Smile. That would be very cool.

Regards,

Gautier.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gautier] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Yeah..I enquired to Jack/Alex about this a while ago....but I don't think they saw enough interest in it. Maybe after the Community script comes out, they will look into this?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yes Andy,

That would be so nice for Php developers...and even users !

Why ?

Today, almost everybody have PHP enabled on their webserver. And there are many many persons who develop in Php/Mysql. If GT allowed us to develop Php plugins, we would release many many new plugins, as useful as the Perl plugins.

For example, I develop many PHP modifications for French users. I would be glad to develop the corresponding plugins, but I can't, because I don't develop in Perl Unsure.

Well, that's my personal opinion on this...Tongue

Regards from France,

Gautier.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gautier] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Exactly the same here. I managed to write a plugin for Links SQL (PHP_PPC_Banner), but this was installed using Perl, but the bulk of it was done in PHP. I'm actually looking at re-doing the script as a complete plugin for Links SQL (in Perl), with built in admin features etc....but I'm not sure there will be much demand (I've only had 1 sale for the PHP_PPC_Plugin)....I don't want to waste loads of time, to find no-body wants it Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes I think so, but personnaly I do not want to "waste" time on learning Perl. I have great PHP plugins to write (free plugins and bigger plugins that would not be free but at a low price), but unfortunately I will not do anything in Perl.

So yes if I could write Php plugins, I'll write them and would be so happy !!!SmileSmileSmile

Regards,

Gautier.
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] PHP version and plugins In reply to
Hi,

No, the technical reasons would be us creating an admin area to handle plugin installation/removal in PHP.

You can still do "plugins" in the old sense (how most other sites handle things, just inserting php code into the original). The templates are all in PHP, so you can make most changes without altering any of the main php code.

This is something we'd look at doing, but again, the only thing we would be adding would be the auto install/uninstall feature that the perl version has. Right now you can do install/uninstall in perl, and the rest of your plugin is in PHP.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Quote:
the technical reasons would be us creating an admin area to handle plugin installation/removal in PHP.
Aside from time (that's a limitless resource, right? Smile ), it sounds like that would be very much worth doing. Given how much people seem to have been anticipating the PHP Links SQL release and how little discussion there has been in that forum since, I would venture to guess the lack of a plugin system has been a major deterring factor.

Quote:
You can still do "plugins" in the old sense (how most other sites handle things, just inserting php code into the original).
Aren't all the plugins written in Perl currently? That would mean having to re-write everything in order to customize one's templates.

I guess I'm a bit confused by why the plugin system isn't currently supported in the PHP version. I suppose there are plugins that apply to the user-side templates, but many of the behind the scenes plugins seem to be admin related (as far as I know, all admin functions are still Perl). Couldn't the Perl plugin system still work in that case? If anyone wants to customize their templates further, they could then do that on their own...

Am I making any sense?

Dan
Quote Reply
If there was enough demand, I may transfer a few of the plugins into PHP (i.e recommend it, bad_link etc). I'll look into this tomorrow Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
(i.e recommend it, bad_link etc)
Those are good examples of what I was saying. I don't see any reason why the bad_link plugin would need to be converted, as the Perl version should work just fine independent of the PHP templates (although, I suppose not everyone runs it in a popup window and might actually want to integrate it). I'm not sure about the recommend it plugin, but that seems like something much more dependent on being tied to the user templates.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote:
I guess I'm a bit confused by why the plugin system isn't currently supported in the PHP version. I suppose there are plugins that apply to the user-side templates, but many of the behind the scenes plugins seem to be admin related (as far as I know, all admin functions are still Perl). Couldn't the Perl plugin system still work in that case? If anyone wants to customize their templates further, they could then do that on their own...

That's a good point. Plugins are supported, what is not supported is plugins that affect the user side. Any plugins that only affect the admin side will work just fine. All plugins will install and work as normal, but for some plugins you may only see the effects of the plugin if you use the perl user side.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Yes, that makes much more sense and is much more to my liking. :)

Looks like it might be worth my time to take a closer look at the latest version...

Thanks,
Dan