Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

New version of linksql ?

Quote Reply
New version of linksql ?
Hello,
i have been using linksql for about 6 months and I'm absolutely satisfied with the product.

However, we will be cancelling our current project and start another one, still using linksql.

Since this will involves major template work, I would like to know if / when a new version of links is planned to know if I wait it or start right away.

Also, there are two features buit-in i'm looking the most in the next version (you can take it as a suggestion if they are not planned).

1) Links expiration, with warning emails to the links owner, lets say 15 or less days before their links expire (could be sent each time the pages are build for example). This would be good for paid listings that needs to renew.

2) "Sponsored links". Just as in yahoo, where people pay to have their listing on top of the category, in a distinct location. Of course, this feature should also has an expiration system: => if people had reserved their links there for 3 months, they would be moved back to normal listing once expiration is reached. The "sponsored links", on top of the category should have its own template.

I think these features would make sense when you see the current search engines / directory sector developpement so linksql would stay the leader in its category.

Cordially,
Brakkar

Last edited by:

brakkar: Nov 6, 2003, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [brakkar] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Hi,

Yes, a new version of Links SQL is under active development. The major new features will be payment integration like we have in Gossamer Mail and Gossamer Forum.

I don't have a firm date yet, but within 3 months is a safe bet.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Hi Alex,

thanks for your answer, i'm glad to learn about this new links version.

As for my 2 precises suggestions, will they be part of the new links by default ?

Cordially,
Brakkar
Quote Reply
Re: [brakkar] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Hi,

There was a previous message that indicated that this sort of "classifieds" system wouldn't be part of links by default. But, once the payment system is there, it shouldn't be too hard to build this in.

Things should/may be changing as development goes along.

So much has been changing, in general, that it's hard to get a handle on most of it :)

I've been working with the expiration system trying to get a shopping cart working using GoCart for unique (one of a kind) items, and inventory items, where a specific inventory level (like 5 or 10) is available, and then the product is sold out. This is also part of the auction system, and classifieds. If you need something like that, I think GT has a classifieds system, and I'm working on one. But my release dates have been pushed back for personal reasons, and the time demands of our retail shop.

Depending on when the new links comes out, and what features are being built in, if GT isn't doing the expiration/priority/featured links system, by default, I'll have enough parts to other programs to make that work.

It's not hard. The process is fairly simple, but the bells/whistles and such make it infinitely more complicated <G>

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Alex

Will the new version be a free upgrade i I buy now ? I was planning to buy 2 licenses soon !
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Last edited by:

nakulgoyal: Jan 13, 2004, 11:33 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Yeah, upgrades of LinksSQL are free (I've been using it since 2.0.0 and its almost 2.1.3).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

Yes, a new version of Links SQL is under active development. The major new features will be payment integration like we have in Gossamer Mail and Gossamer Forum.

I don't have a firm date yet, but within 3 months is a safe bet.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] New version of linksql ? In reply to
I hope,
it's possible to install a new version also on heavy modified links sql installations.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] New version of linksql ? In reply to
If you use plugins, and modify only peripheral scripts like the user scripts, upgrades are pretty easy.

If you've modified core code, anything in the ./admin, ../admin/GT/* or ../admin/Links/* directories, upgrades are going to be painful, in general. You need to make your modifications in each of the code files. This is why, whenever possible, override the complete functionality, or hook into it via the plugins.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Hi,

the main changes are a lot of more
fields in the database. any other
changes are in the templates which
I don't want loose.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Your database fields should be ok with the upgrade. When upgrading though, you need to backup your /admin/templates/default/ folder, and its sub-folders. Anything that *is not* in the 'local' folder will be overwritten, so be sure to back these templates up.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Any word on a release date for 2.1.3??
Have a new client, but wants the pay option...
Thanks,

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Same here :( I'm just going to write a simple payment script to do this for one of my clients (with WorldPay and PayPal).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Yes, it could be nice to hear something from maybe Alex. He wrote in november, that 3 months would be a good guess... well, it's been more than 3 months now :-)
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] New version of linksql ? In reply to
Hi!

It's very close to done, the manual has been updated, and the entire program is just in final testing. Won't be much longer!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Niiiiice.....It's only because GT makes so brilliant programs, that we can't really wait to see what new features you all have made....Wink
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

many thanks for the feedback.
I´m looking forward to get the new Payment-Links-SQL for my website soon.
Your software is great !

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] New version of linksql ? In reply to
I am sure the new version will be GREAT.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News