Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL and search engines

Quote Reply
Links SQL and search engines
Hi,

My Links 2.0 database is now at a size that it is two big and I will have to upgrade to SQL version, however, I am reluctant to to make changes to something that currently brings me alot of traffic and I am unsure how that will be affected by the SQL version.

I have over 7,000 links in the databse and another 18,000 waiting to be validated (yes it will take a while). Anyway, as I allow the googlebot to crawl through my pages, this has generated a lot of links in google to my site. This is because links 2 produces all the pages on the build and the googlebot picks up the descriptions on each link.

My question therefore is more about how links sql builds the pages as I would like to continue to build traffic via this method (especially after getting those links validated).

Thanks

Webmaster
http://www.e-bannerx.com
Quote Reply
Re: [fulcan] Links SQL and search engines In reply to
Links SQL allows you to build static pages, or use the dynamic page.cgi/page.php or both!

Hope that helps Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [fulcan] Links SQL and search engines In reply to
While I am not an expert on either Links or Links SQL, I believe you should be able to generate pages that are indistinguishable between the two products and at the same locations. This depends on getting your html templates set up in the same way and maintaining your category structures.

If your Links installation is in the cgi-bin at: /cgi-bin/links/
and build pages in the /pages/ directory

Links SQL could be installed in the cgi-bin at: /cgi-bin/linkssql/
and build pages in the /pages2/ directory

Then you could tweak Links SQL until you are satisfied, then go into the admin and change the build directory from /pages2/ to /pages/. You could also choose the dynamic option and not build the pages, but simply run dynamically until you are ready to make the change over and this would save lots of server space.

One of the biggest things I had to adjust to was Links SQL flexibility. For me, this meant when I was searching for the "one" solution, it was confusing because there were usually several, equally valid ways of accomplishing the task at hand. You have sort of run across this with the static, dynamic and php options. They are all good options and depend more on your preferences and server limitations.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Links SQL and search engines In reply to
Smile Thanks guys greatly appreicated!
Webmaster
http://www.e-bannerx.com