Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Links SQL 1.11 features: Explained?

Quote Reply
Links SQL 1.11 features: Explained?
Alex, Pug,

Being the two people that I see here the most, I'd like to ask you a few questions about Links SQL 1.11's features over Links 2.0

Essentially my questions deal with the relatively undocumented features such as three levels of new icons, etc, the include function, and the rest.

I can't find any explanation of these features at all. I realize Links SQL 2.0 is coming (although I'd name it something besides 2.0 for confusion's sake) and my timing stinks, but then again, I just bought Links SQL and would like to get a start at these new features.. :)

Wayne Hunt
Amiga.org

Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL 1.11 features: Explained? In reply to
Check out the FAQ site I set up. It has many of the best things listed. (It's a bit dusty now, because this forum has better indexing).

I just posted about 2 or 3 weeks ago how to activate the 3-level graphic mod again. Search for "Days_Old" in the forum, and you should find it. You need to change two places in the Links SQL code to get the mod to work, then upload the graphics (of course).

There are two ways of doing it. I chose to upload 14 graphic files 1.gif ... 14.gif because that meant I didn't have to use any sort of test to figure out the range of dates. I think it works faster.

The <%include%> function was also beat to death about December, I think. I've been working on a brief set of documentation, but with the new version, I think Alex has been working on documentation as well. If not, once the new version comes out, I'll update the notes I have and get something published.

The <%include%> reads a file from the templates directory, and it _is_ parsed. So it can contain <% %> tags in it. The Category table will also parse the Header and Footer fields if they look like they contain a file name. This is how you can get "pseudo dynamic" headers on each category page.

I'm sure most of this will change in the next release, but I really haven't seen it, and until I do, it's really hard to try to make guesses, or come up with fixes, and I can't justify spending the little time I have to make up docs that will be out of date in a few weeks at best. I do support here as my "down time" to take a break from my own programming and site development.

Before this Forum was so well indexed, the FAQ area was sort of my way of pointing people to questions that came up again and again, and gave them a way to quickly find it. It also cut my own time down looking for threads I used. This forum is much better indexed, and all you need to do is think about what you are looking for, input those keywords, and you'll find the threads :) Makes it really nice, but makes the FAQ area I was keeping sort of out of date by default.

As I said in my first post to this new forum :) .... I'll change the fAQ area back to an FAQ area once the new version comes out, and index the repeated questions, problems and fixes there. The resource center is the best place for code and mods -- but some quick way to find the basic "help" information still has a place.

And, my disclaimer -- I'm not affiliated with GT, and I'm just a user. But I've banked my sites on this program, and I feel of all the choices I had out there, this was the best one for my needs.