Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

LSQL on a shared server

Quote Reply
LSQL on a shared server
LSQL looks very promising. However, I'm worried my host might think it's too much for them to handle...

I am on a shared server - sorry, no funds for dedicated at the moment.

I currently run Vbulletin forums on another account on the same server and they don't seem to have a problem with that. My forums are pretty large with over 2600 registered members - I just pay for the extra web space and bandwidth.

If anyone has experience with the VB forums (sorry GT - your forums look fab!), would you say running an LSQL directory be more or less resources consuming? I am worried about the Perl CGI part...

Thanks for any input!

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] LSQL on a shared server In reply to
I don't know about the forum part, but I run a fairly avg - large LSQL site on a shared server.

http://www.categories.ca

I find the build times slow, but as I run a static directory, I don't really have much in the way of perfomance issues. I wish the search times could be faster (and they are depending on the time of day etc).

Also if you are worried about your host runing a directory, why don't you talk to Paul. He might be able to help you out with a nice deal on server space.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Aug 8, 2002, 9:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] LSQL on a shared server In reply to
Thanks. Forgot to mention - estimated no. of listings will be 10,000 tops. I expect no more than 5000 in the first year. I don't know how many visitors Sly but I would say no more than 5K pageviews a day for the first 6 months or so (until we get enough money to adversitse properly)

Which brings me to another question on the same subject - if and when I need to move to a dedicated server - how difficult would it be to move the whole LSQL based website? Would I need to configure and install from scratch? What if I add plug-ins and such? I hope this is not a dumb question Blush

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Hi...please get in contact with me. I could sort you out with hosting...Links SQL is no problem ;) I have a few copies running on my server at the moment...and I can't see any slow downs. Its when you get to about 50k that you start to notice the difference.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Oh..and transfering it should not be a problem. The main thing would be the paths...but transfering the files etc should not be a problem, especially if you 'tar' the folder up first, and then do the move.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] LSQL on a shared server In reply to
When did you add hosting to your signature block Andy? I never saw it thereSmile.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] LSQL on a shared server In reply to
Couple of days ago. I started a hosting company, along with a few mates of mine Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi

I AM ON A SHARED SERVER..

lsql WITH 25000 LISTING...

ABOUT 1000,000 Hits a month..

GT forum running for almost three weeks now with no problems at all..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] LSQL on a shared server In reply to
katadb, who's your web host?