Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Is page.cgi that smart?

Quote Reply
Is page.cgi that smart?
Hello everyone,

What I am wondering is if using page.cgi (the script that dynaically changes your Links SQL site's layout) all the time is smart, doesn't that use a lot of CPU resources? running CGI that much? It would be smarted just to have Links SQL build HTML pages and then use page.cgi for affiliate sites, right?

God bless!

<><------------><>
Daniel
http://www.christian-search.net
<><------------><>
Quote Reply
Re: Is page.cgi that smart? In reply to
That is correct...it does suck CPU...using it for affiliates would reduce the amount of CPU usage. But if you want to include dynamic options like category sorting and link sorting...you could use page.cgi.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
category sorting and link sorting...you could use page.cgi.
Eh what's that, only can be used in dynamic mode ?

Regards Startpoint

Quote Reply
It would allow you to have users choose different sorting options (like alphabetical, most hits, etc.). And yes, it would only work most efficiently in page.cgi.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hello everyone,

You said 'efficiently'. What you have my case where you have the webspace to spare but you don't have the bandwidth, could I just make it so Links SQL will build all the categories like 3 times, one for each type of sorting?

<><------------><>
Daniel
http://www.christian-search.net
<><------------><>
Quote Reply
You could...Google.com has done this...They have three sets of their directories that are static web pages. All you would have to do is copy the sub build_category_pages and change the sorting codes and also define different variables for the different directories of categories. Then you will have to put links in your category.html files (yes, you would have to create copies) to link to the other directories.

Keep in mind though...that your CPU would be negatively impacted with building the copies of directories in one script. A better approach is to use additional nph-build.cgi files and change the variables in each of them.

Regards,

Eliot Lee