Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Is Links still being developed?

Quote Reply
Is Links still being developed?
Hi,

I currently run Links 2 - and whilst it is good - it has not been upgraded for a long time (Jan 5th 1999 according to the readme) - so I looked at the full version - but I also see that apart from a couple of bug fixes, this too has not had a decent update for a long time. (March 2002)

Could you let me know...

a) If any updates are planned to either version?

b) If not why not?

c) Why I should spend a lot of money on a product that is not activly developed.

I would be grateful of some honest replies, so I can make the correct decision Smile

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [canvey] Is Links still being developed? In reply to
Hi,

Links 2.0 is not being actively developed. Links SQL is though, and the last release was 2.1.2 released January of this year:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=227182#227182

I'll update the product pages to reflect the proper dates, I think you were looking at something that should have been removed.

It is still being actively developed, and a major revision is in the works now. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Is Links still being developed? In reply to
Hi Alex,

Shame to hear about Links 2.0 being abondoned - I would have thought it would be an idea introduction for many people.

I realise that there have been bug fixes to Links SQL - but no proper update - the release quite recently advises people not to upgrade unless necessary, indicating that it was a fairly minor release.

Good to hear a major revision is in the works. Hopefully it will not be too long.

I did look round the other forums, and saw that there were various mods released by people, but was surprised to see people charging for them - perhaps I am used to the sort of community forums for software where mods are released for the love of it, and not for profit.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Links 2.0 is still a good introduction. It does it's job quite well and has stood the test of time. While we are not actively developing it, we fully support it, and will do custom modifications for people as needed.

There are quite a large number of plugins available for Links SQL (48 to be exact), and many of them are free (30 of them). The paid ones are usually supported by the developer, or include bundled commercial software (like the adcycle or advertpro plugins). The paid ones are also updated more frequently (which is why when you view the plugins page, the top ones are paid, as it's listed in order of last updated). This does not include the quick mods (called globals) that you can find in the forum, many of which have been highlighted in the resources area.

Plugins are also quite different then mods you may see for other programs (including Links 2.0). They are complete packages and include install and uninstall code, so all the end user needs to do is click download and then click install. Plugins also survive upgrades to the program, so you don't need to redo your custom changes each upgrade.

If you'd like to see how they work, feel free to download and try out Gossamer Forum. It uses the same plugin interface and globals system as Links SQL.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Canvey...also, the Review system has been brought out in version 2.1.0 ... 2.1.2 is mainly bug fixes for the Community Plugin, and fixes to the Review System....so in a way, it is being activly developed (we don't see whats going on in the background of LSQL's development...but I'm pretty sure GT work on it a lot, finding bugs, fixing them up, and adding new user requested features).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
I did look round the other forums, and saw that there were various mods released by people, but was surprised to see people charging for them - perhaps I am used to the sort of community forums for software where mods are released for the love of it, and not for profit.

If you have a search around the forum and list the plugins in the admin panel of the demo there are a *huge* number of free hacks, modification, globals, plugins etc. In comparison there are very few paid plugins. The only paid plugins tend to be very large feature enhancements such as Polls for GForum. Take for example a plugin I wrote called MyLinks...it is 100kb in size (compressed). Not a small hack by any means :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 26, 2003, 2:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Is Links still being developed? In reply to
True...I also have over 10 free plugins....which, most of them are not small either. Its not so much a cases we want to charge for the plugins...but more a fact we need too....cos writing them in our working time obviously needs to be paid back in some other way...otherwise we don't get to eat Frown (same as all jobs)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What kinds of major revisions? What will we be seeing? I'm just wondering because I've seen some other programs that not only seem to do what Links SQL does (and costs less) but have several more features and a far nicer admin area.
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Is Links still being developed? In reply to
Quote:
I've seen some other programs that not only seem to do what Links SQL does (and costs less) but have several more features and a far nicer admin area.

Which programs?..not In-Link? Wink
Quote Reply
Hi,

Our next major revision will include some pretty cool payment modules to allow webmasters to accept payments in a variety of different formats (and tie payments to "link packages" for preferred placements, etc).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I was looking at:

In-Links
SnapDex
IndexU (I like there setup/admin panel)
Quote Reply
I'd knock one off the list straight away. A search for IndexU on Yahoo returns (as the top search result):

Quote:
This Account Has Been Suspended - This Account Has Been Suspended. Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.
www.indexu.com/

Wouldn't trust them if they've had their hosting account suspended in the recent past =)
Quote Reply
I'm afraid SnapDex doesn't come close, quality and feature wise.
Quote Reply
Interesting...but I think I'm in love with their (IndexU) admin panel...:/

I agree about SnapDex though.

Last edited by:

rayhne: Apr 8, 2003, 1:19 PM
Quote Reply
I don't see a distinct difference between that and the GT admin panels. Both use frames. I think the GT layout is more intuitive too rather than a long list of options. It's a personal choice though I guess.
Quote Reply
Are we looking at the same admin panel? IndexU starts with Who's online, Stats, top websites, etc with more tools to the left. Less jumping from tab to tab with a validate editor feature right there (as well as a editor application built in).

Of course, that is personal preference...

Last edited by:

rayhne: Apr 8, 2003, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
SnapDex, on the other hand, has the ability to modify registration fields right up front...I'll have to go through and make a list of neat things I'd like to see on the admin panel...:)
Quote Reply
Yeah we are talking about the same admin panel. My post above still applies =)

I agree the stats are nice but if you really want them you can just add a few globals to your admin templates.

I bet IndexU has it all hard coded Tongue
Quote Reply
Still, it is neat. It has occurred to me that maybe I could do up the admin panel the way I'd like it...or find someone willing to do it. :)

I still like the editor registration/validation though.
Quote Reply
When is the next version expected Alex?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com