Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer

Quote Reply
Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer
Is this possible? I've played around with the demo but it only seems to import from other versions of Links.

Other then that is seems great and I would like to buy it as long as I can get my existing database into it.
---
I'm a very boring lady, very, very boring.

Last edited by:

Cleo_: Sep 25, 2004, 12:10 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Cleo_] Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer In reply to
Can you export database of TD Script's Link Organizer to a file?
What database does TD Script's Link Organizer use? Flat text or SQL database?
What is the database table format?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer In reply to
The database is a collection of txt files A-Z inside of directories named after each category.

Each field is separated by the pipe symbol with a return at the end of each entry. This is what I would need to import.

ID Date Ignore SubmittersName SubmittersAddy URL Title Description Category Ignore SiteType Ignore Ignore

Here is a sample of one of the lines.
202|12-12-2000|<a href="http://www.fuckslutsex.com/clamps/index.html"> Clamped!</a> - amateur sex slave's tits get tortured with clothespins and clamps!|tamara|webmaster@spankslut.com|http://www.fuckslutsex.com/clamps/index.html| Clamped!|amateur sex slave's tits get tortured with clothespins and clamps!||bdsm|c.txt|Free|346||
---
Quote Reply
Quote:
The database is a collection of txt files A-Z inside of directories named after each category.
This may make importing a bit difficulter. Luckily the Category information is also stored near the link information, so this can be solved by getting category information from here and not from directory structure. But you will have to import databases in each category one by one.

Quote:
Each field is separated by the pipe symbol with a return at the end of each entry. This is what I would need to import.

ID Date Ignore SubmittersName SubmittersAddy URL Title Description Category Ignore SiteType Ignore Ignore

I have a commercial plugin, named "Admin Multi-Add", which can import data from text delimited databases, which has different number of fields in each record, and you can assign any field to any data. It's a 1 by 1 record import.
Check it here: [ NEW PLUGIN ] Admin Multi-Add plugin
I could improve that script to make possible to import database in 1 category in 1 step. So you could go into each category and import the database from it.
If have too much categories, and you want to avoid importing for each category one by one, then this task would need a custom script.

Another solution would be to create artificial links.def files for your database format, then you can import records one by one for each category using standard LinksSQL importer. It wouldn't be a fast import, but could work.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer In reply to
This looks like just what I need. It would also be very useful for when I'm adding in sponsor hosted stuff that they give me in a text file.

I have about 10K in records and I have a utility that will concatenate all the files into one so that I'll only have one file to import.

One question… once I setup the fields will it then import all my data without and further intervention by me or do I have to do this record by record?
---
Quote Reply
Quote:
One question… once I setup the fields will it then import all my data without and further intervention by me or do I have to do this record by record?
Very good question.
Currently it is done record by record (manual import).
If there will be need to have "setup the fields once, then import all data without and further intervention" feature (automatic import), then I will implement it into the plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
It really does need to be able to setup the first one and then all the rest will import.

At 10K+ in links to import it would not be practical to have to hit import 10K+ times.
---
Quote Reply
Quote:
It really does need to be able to setup the first one and then all the rest will import.

At 10K+ in links to import it would not be practical to have to hit import 10K+ times.
Yes, it's logical.

The original goal of this plugin was to be able to import such databases, which doesn't have a standard field list, so you need to select field for each data. It was requested, so that's why the record by record (manual import) was implemented first.
If you are going to buy the plugin, I will implement automatic import feature, exactly as you described.

We can discuss further details in Private Message.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Have you considered my Data_Import plugin? Basically, you just setup which fields go with what .. and then enter your data (pipe, comma or tab delimited database files). As long as you have a "full category name", i.e Games/Internet/Poker/USA ... then the Data_Import plugin should do this fine for you :)

You can find out more details on this plugin here: http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/52.html

Hope that helps Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer In reply to
That does look like just what I need.

I played around with the demo and I have just one question.

I've added a Column (Type Free, Pay).
Type ENUM(Free, Pay) Yes Free Type SELECT 1

Will this plugin have this field to choose from when I'm importing my database?
---

Last edited by:

Cleo_: Sep 27, 2004, 6:13 AM
Quote Reply
Sure. If its an ENUM, then just make sure the same value exists in the flatfile database you are trying to import. For example;

1|Test link|0|http://www.google.com|Free

..etc.

If you want to automatically set this field to a set value, you can use the "default values" part of the plugin, where it would look something like;

FieldName = 'Free'

... or whatever you want to enter.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Importing database from TD Script's Link Organizer In reply to
That is just what I wanted to hear.

Looks like you will be getting some of my hard earned money when I got back home today.
---
Quote Reply
Shoot me over a PM, and I'll sort you out a copy to try out (obviously, if you do use it.. then I'd like some money =)). Just easier than sorting out a refund, if it doesn't do what you want =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I decided to improve the Admin Multi-Add plugin so the features would compare to Andy's Data_Import plugin.

The new plugin will be named as "Admin Link Importer plugin", and will have all the features of Admin Multi-Add plugin, plus:
  • Half automatic import. You set fields once, then import thousands of records in one step.
  • Full automatic import (if first line of datafile contains fieldnames, and there is a field named Category). You just upload a data file, then thousands of records are imported automatically without user interaction. This will include some safety checks, too.
  • Duplicate checking
  • Categories will be created if missing (each new category can be Confirmed 1 by 1 or created Automatically)

Because of the improved features the product will be similarly priced like Andy's plugin.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
  • Last edited by:

webmaster33: Sep 27, 2004, 8:22 AM