Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Importing content - copyright & quality

Quote Reply
Importing content - copyright & quality
Building my first directory with Links SQL, and I'd like to start it with content from another directory. I'm not wild about DMOZ for several reasons: The directory structure (for my purposes) is poor, there are duplicative links, it's not very comprehensive, and I don't like the idea of paying lifelong tribute by including their footers forever ( http://www.dmoz.org/license.html ) .

There are some competing private directories with better structure as a starting point, with content that would be nice to legitimately purloin.

Obviously I want to stay legal - great little discussion on directory copyright law: http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html Using information in a directory and creating a new directory structure appears to give a wide berth of copyright infringement.

Questions:
1. If I am going to make a better directory with prune and graft operations and use directories as a source of content that I would manually edit one-by-on, what is the least arduous way of doing this? Grabbing/spidering content? Or no shortcuts, entirely manual operation?

2. In practical terms, is launching a directory with only a few, high page-rank entries per category a big disadvantage compared to one that is extensively populated?

3. Is it wise to block search engines from the directory site in robots.txt while encouraging people to list prior to launch, while accumulating a few incoming links? Or does a gradual growth work as well or better?

4. Spidering a competing directory and judiciously emailing those who are listed to ask them to take advantage of free listing on a new directory sounds effective but obviously could result in problems re spamming. It really depends on whether the recipient considers it spam or not. Anyone have experience with this?
Quote Reply
Re: [lvgltd] Importing content - copyright & quality In reply to
Hi,

1. It would depend on the size of database to determine if scripting something to automate importing of links and categories is worthwhile. Hard to say though, as it depends greatly on not only the number of links, but the quality and source of the import.

2. No, in my opinion, I think quality is much more important then quantity.

3. I'm sure you'd get different answers depending on who you ask, but I don't believe it's worth blocking search engines while you are building the site out (assuming you are ready for people to see things).

4. Yes, you might well get into spam problems with this. I get so many emails a day for people asking to link share (which isn't quite the same, I know). Thankfully spamassassin gets most of them. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.