Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle?

Quote Reply
Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle?
Probably the biggest reason why I am hesitant about buying LinksSQL:

Well I think the subject just about describes the question. I want to know how much is too much on an AVERAGE server (Average meaning paid service; $30-50/month) I expect to serve 100,000 impressions daily and I am worried that running links via page.cgi will give my host a heart attack, I don't want to find my site living on the streets because I get booted off the server!! Unsure However lots of sites run as dynamic sites; so is cgi more demanding then asp/php? The reason I ask is because in previous threads people talk as if using page.cgi is some sort of ram/cpu intensive hungry hog.

Let me know your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: [Unquick] Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle? In reply to
Mmm....your best bet would be to go with a managed host (something like imagelinkusa.net, powweb.com etc), and then wait until your traffic builds up to over your banwidth limit. Them move over to a dedicated server, where it doesn't matter about CPU usage really. Also, do you need page.cgi to do all the work, or couldn't you just use static pages?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle? In reply to
Are you getting commission for getting people to move to those hosts or what?....you are always recommending people to move hosts for no reason.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 1:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Unquick] Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle? In reply to
If you are on a shared server getting quite a few hits then static pages are more suitable as the server load, processing time and load speed will me quicker. If you have access to mod_perl or are on a dedicated server then page.cgi is fine to use.

Having said that you may still be able to get away with page.cgi but if you are worried about what your host will do then doing an occasional build is probably the preferred method than a sustained memory/cpu usage.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 13, 2003, 1:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle? In reply to
In Reply To:
Are you getting commission for getting people to move to those hosts or what?....you are always recommending people to move hosts for no reason.

Yeah, great one Paul! If I was getting commission, do you really think I would be refering them directly to that site? The only reason I recommend that they move is because they are good hosting companies from prior experience! Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Dynamic pages, how much can a server handle? In reply to
I don't think he was asking for you to recommend a new host. Oh well.