Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Dual Build

Quote Reply
Dual Build
Is it possible to build the links in 2 portions of the created page? For example, if I have a link database with 3 fields: StoreName, Description, Advertisement. Is it possible to build the StoreName and Description fields in the center of the page in one table while building the Advertisement field in a different table down the border of the page? If it's not possible, does one of the Advertising mods make it possible? Can I associate an advertisement with a specific link and have it build anywhere that link appears?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [biglion] Dual Build In reply to
Yea...edit the link.html file...use nested HTML tables.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Dual Build In reply to
Thanks, but i'm not quite sure that would work since the entire links.html page seems to be built with each and every link. It would still build each link one beneath the other though in different colums.

Lets say I wanted the StoreName and Description fields built for every link on the page. Then beneath all those links I would like only the Advertisements field built for each link. Is that possible by simple changing the links.html template? It seems I would be getting alternating fields that way rather than separate sections.

I currently have Links 2.0 and I haven't been able to get it to work by altering Links.html. It would simply alternate the links. Is Links SQL different?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Use the detailed page, and yes, you can use nested tables within the detailed page to accomplish your request.

Good luck!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hmm, is Links SQL different from Links 2.0 in that respect? In Links 2.0 using the detailed build I would get an individual page for each link. I'm looking for two seperate sections on the main category pages with all the links. How would the detailed page accomplish this?
Quote Reply
All you have to do is the following in the link.html template file:

<%StoreName%>
<br>
<%Description%>
<p>
<%Advertisement%>

And if you want more information posted for each link in a "detailed page", then simply format your detailed template file, and then add a link in your link.html file to the detailed page.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Doesn't that just get me:

Storename1
Description1
Advertisement1
Storename2
Description2
Advertisement2
Storename3
Description3
Advertisement3

What I need is:

Storename1
Description1
Storename2
Description2
Storename3
Description3

Advertisement1
Advertisement2
Advertisement3
Quote Reply
Ah...I see what you want..although it doesn't make sense to print the advertisements below and out of sync with the StoreName and Description, IMO.

You could possibly use one of the LINKS LOOP functions (which is better than Links 2.0, since it is totally tag based) to print the first set of info, and then print the advertisement info below it.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Thanks, I guess i'll have to look into that. The example I gave was only to illustrate my point. Actually, I would use the advertisements in a right side margin but either way they would need to be separated from the name and description.
Quote Reply
Like the following?

Look at the attachment...
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jul 16, 2002, 10:47 AM
Quote Reply
That would be easy but the spacing would be incorrect as descriptions and banners will be of different sizes. In your example, if one of the banners was 300 pixels in height, it would completely throw off the spacing of the links. That would only work if all the links and advertisements were of uniform size. What i'm looking for really needs to be two independent sections.

I may be able to work something out by using an include tag. I'm reading the forum looking for info on that now. Maybe i'd be better off creating seperate advertising html pages and simply including them into the proper categories. Any easy way to do that?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
From what I have found, I assume I can include pages by using
<%include /home/myroot/www/includes/ad.html%>

I could then simply use a bunch on <%if statements to send each ad page into the proper category.

Am I correct that something like that will work?
Quote Reply
Hi,

One way to do your original question is to use loops. In your category template you just put:

<%link_results%>

and that formats the links as normal on the category page. Now to get the advertisements in a separate area, you do:

<%loop link_results_loop%>
<%if Advertisement%>
... # display ad
<%endif%>
<%endloop%>

Let me know if this makes sense.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Dual Build In reply to
That makes sense and sounds like it will work. I'll probably be purchasing Links SQL tomorrow and i'll be customizing for a while before it goes live. I'm sure i'll be back to the forum searching for other customizations & requirements.

Thanks to all for the help.