Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters?

Quote Reply
Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters?
Can categories within Links be sorted then displayed according to various parameters, such as user rating, a-z etc, on the fly? Another product I'm currently looking at (in-link.net) allows this. Obviously if this is possible in links, it will have to be in the dynamic mode, but is it possible?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [johnjohn] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Are you implying that you can sort the way links are displayed in categories by field name? If so, then yes, that is stue. You would just enter something like;

Title DESC, Date DESC, isNew, isPop

etc

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [johnjohn] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
You can also sort in any manner you'd like in the search results page.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Hi Andy:

Actually, I meant sort on demand by the user, not during build time. Is that possible? I could provide an example using in-link if needed.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
John,

Yes, you can, if you use either the page.cgi or page.php, which are dynamic scripts that you can modify to allow dynamic sorting based on user request.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Sleath- do you know where I can see this in action, such as a sample site or url?

It would really be great if GT could compile a list of urls into a browsable directory where their product is used. Good for inspiration etc.
Quote Reply
In the Resources center, there is a list of some people using Links SQL:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...SQL/Sites_In_Action/

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, you can't alter the sort dynamically per user, however this would be really easy to add, and I'll include it in the next update.

As for some URL's, you can look at our featured sites at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...inks-sql/clients.htm

or a larger list of user submitted sites at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...SQL/Sites_In_Action/

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Quote:

Yes, you can, if you use either the page.cgi or page.php, which are dynamic scripts that you can modify to allow dynamic sorting based on user request.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Aug 22, 2002, 9:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Ah, I read it as you can modify it by passing in different input, not by actually changing the code. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
This would be really useful to have
Quote Reply
Re: [Forum Bot] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
can you post an example using page.cgi (dynamically)with in a category to make link listings ascending or descending ?

I was trying it but it didnt work.

I tried &so=desc

If someone can supply an example I'd appreciate it

Thanks

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [incik] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to

did you manage to get this working?

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing.

regan
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
.../cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=categoryname&sb=Title&so=asc
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to

great!! thanks laura that works beautifully! Laugh

regan
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
Thanks for pointing it out - I hadn't realised you could do this! Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
It doesn't work if you span pages (toolbar) - it works with search.cgi Unsure
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] Can links sort listings within a category by different paramaters? In reply to
No, you're right. I think you'd need to use your own span pages global. I might have a look at this later as I'd quite like to get it working on my site.

Laura.
The UK High Street