Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Beta Installation First

Quote Reply
Beta Installation First
Hi All

I want to upgrade from flatfile to SQL. However, I want the first installation to be a beta install in a separate directory BUT that uses my Current DB so I can test and modify stuff. Is that do-able?

The reason is that I have modified my flatfile version a lot. So, I know that I'll have to tweak and get used to the SQL version before I make it public.

Also, there are a few other questions:

1. Does SQL use any of the files that exist with the flatfile version? My concern is that since I have modified things so much that there could be some problems.

2. I want to always display the main categories in the sidebar. Is this standard with SQL?

Thanks very much. Smile

DT

Quote Reply
Re: Beta Installation First In reply to
DogTags,

To install LINKS SQL, simply specify a different directory/folder in your server.

with regards to your other questions:

1) No...it is a completely different system/application. You can "upgrade" your existing LINKS 2.0 Mods and code hacks as Plugins when you become accustomed to using the plugin system. I've not upgraded my LINKS SQL v.1.13 to LINKS SQL 2.0 for a variety of reasons, but from what I've observed in Plugin related posts, it is A LOT easier to install Mods in LINKS SQL 2.0 than LINKS SQL v.1.13. Basically, with the plugin system, you don't touch the "nervous system" (nuts and bolts) files of LINKS SQL versus with LINKS SQL v.1.13, to install Mods, you have to hack all the files, including the PM files. LINKS SQL v.2.0 is mostly web-based in terms of installing Mods.

2) Yes...there are built-in subs that will do this...this has been discussed before in category related threads in this forum and in the Links SQL Discussion forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Thank you very kindly, AnthroRules.

I'm looking forward to the transition, which I'll do in about a month or so. I've begun to use other mysql scripts (form, poll, etc.) to get the hang of installing and using them before getting Links SQL. So, I think I'll be okay.

I appreciate your help. Smile

DT

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Good idea about playing with less complicated Perl/MySQL scripts before jumping into LINKS SQL.

See ya...

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Many thanks, AnthroRules.

Yeah, the other scripts have really put a dent into understanding that environment. It's obvious that it's a ton better than flatfile stuff. I can't wait...

Thanks for your help Smile

DT