Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL?

Quote Reply
Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL?
Hello,

I have been using Links2.0 since 98 - it is a heavily modified version and I am not using it as a link directory but a sort of classfied site.

I would like to know if the following mods are available and if not, for those not available is there someone who can conver the existing links2.0 mods to SQL for a small fee.

I understand that some of these mods are still compatible only with the older versions of Links SQL and not with the new one but I need all of these mods to successfully upgrade the existing site. If someone wants to quote me a price on proividing all of these please post a reply here and I will email.

1) new+updated links and graphics (Bobsie)
2) span pages like altavista
3) search & sort mod
4) searchonly mod (searches listings by a specific field)
5) yahoo like subcategories
6) related category mod
7) editor's pick mod (I use it as a featured listing mod)
8) sort links by editor's pick first, new links and then the rest randomly in the category pages
9) login to update links with ID and a password (mod by phoenix)
10) dynamic detailed page ie. won't build detailed page but will display detailed info for a link on a seperate page generated by cgi
11) count hits to the dynamic detailed page
12) ability to add additional templates and routines in site_html_templates.pl
14) expired links mod
15) advanced template parsing mod by Alex.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
Hi,

1) Yeah, there is a plugin called Days_Old, which works on both categories and links Smile

2) Built into LSQL.

3) Depending on what you mean, I think this is built in.

4) Yeah, you can just pass in search.cgi?query=&FieldName=test . You can also do other stuff with fields, such as : search.cgi?query=&FieldName-lt=10 (would only find links where FieldName < 10)

5) YahooSubCats should do this.

6) Related categories are built into LSQL.

7) This can be done by a global (I'm sure there is one floating around somewhere).

8) You can edit the sort order in Setup > Build Options. My Build_Random plugin may help here (keeps the links in the correct order, or you end up with links showing up 2-3 times on spanning pages).

9) Built in with LSQL.

10) Again, built in with page.cgi?d=1 (click "Dynamic" in the admin panel).

11) Pugdogs "Detailed_Hits" (not totally sure on the name) plugin should do this. Either that, or simply hack a simple version of jump.cgi, so that it counts outgoing hits to detailed pages.

12) LSQL handles tempaltes a LOT better than Links2. You shouldn't even need to edit any hardcoded stuff, as it can all be edited via the advanced editor (built into LSQL).

13) Expired links are built into LSQL 2.2.0

14) No need for this... as the template parser is a million times more powerful than the Links2 version =)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
As for number 7, there is one, as Andy said 'floating around the forum somewhere'. I actually asked for it.
Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
Can't # 7 be done without any plugin? I mean just create a new column in link property and lets say cal it top1, top2.. etc and in build link order, use that to build sort order...

Please do correct me if I am wrong, as I myself am using that method and is working like a charm, but if there is another method with more features, I would love to know.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
I have a plugin which makes it easier (Top_5_Links), which does pretty much what you just said... but gives it a GUI (user interface), so that you can see in front of you what order the links will be shown in :)

But yes, if you wanna do it via a new DB field/editing the build_sort_order, then that would work too :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
Cool, hey Andy, that plugin does sounds interestings. I was wondering if you would be able to add one more small thing into it, where suppose if the user as 5 premium listings, than those listings will be rotated on daily basis (on dynamic mode and if the dir is build on daily basis).

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
Quote:
I was wondering if you would be able to add one more small thing into it, where suppose if the user as 5 premium listings, than those listings will be rotated on daily basis (on dynamic mode and if the dir is build on daily basis).

Afraid not :( Man... I wish the days were longer :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I know what you mean bro..

Just keep up the great work :)

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

With regards to item #9 if I add additional fields in links.def, when someone logs in the SQL version, will it show all fields so they can update any fields?

Also, what is the ETA on your "classifieds" package? Will this include multiple-image uploads mod?

Let me know - I may be interested in buying your classifieds version (if it is affordable) and I may also be interested in a couple of your plug-ins such as "favorites mod".
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Are most links2.0 mods available for the latest version of SQL? In reply to
Quote:
With regards to item #9 if I add additional fields in links.def, when someone logs in the SQL version, will it show all fields so they can update any fields?

The new fields will be shown in Database > Links > Add/Modify etc ... but the add side of things will *not* show the extra fields, until you have edited the include_form.html. So, in short, you can only let them complete the fields you want =)

Quote:
Also, what is the ETA on your "classifieds" package? Will this include multiple-image uploads mod?

Afraid I couldn't say :( Its been a big project, and it kinda got over-shadowed by the ImageSQL project... which has been going on a bit longer than I was hoping :(

Quote:
Let me know - I may be interested in buying your classifieds version (if it is affordable) and I may also be interested in a couple of your plug-ins such as "favorites mod".

You may be able to run a classified site pretty easily anyway;

LinksSQL 2.2.0 - built in "recurring payments"
Thumb_Images - for images of the products.
MyFaves - Add favorites to as list, so they can go back and find out more details.
... and whatever else you think would suite the site =)

Hope that helps,

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Couple more questions here:

1) all these mods above are they paid mods? I don't see a lot of mods in the resource section.
2) will the links2.0 templates work "as is" with links sql or is there a lot of work needed for templates as well?

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote:
1) all these mods above are they paid mods? I don't see a lot of mods in the resource section.

About 25% are built in "features" (i.e expiry dates) approximatly 25% are free, and the remaining 50% are pay-for plugins.

Not sure how exact the stats above are.. but I thought I would post something =)

Quote:
2) will the links2.0 templates work "as is" with links sql or is there a lot of work needed for templates as well?

In terms of upgrading the template sets to LinksSQL ... I personally prefer to just start from scratch.

There are quite a lot of differences (main ones being in category.html, home.html and search/search_results.html).

I tend to start from the front page, and then just "did" my way into the site, and design each page as-and-when it shows up :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk