Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

3 different languages and some fancy demands

Quote Reply
3 different languages and some fancy demands
Hi again!

I'm putting my questions in seperate posts, to keep the threads focused. Hope that's ok.

I have been searching this forum already, but my specific questions where not answered.

The portal should be in three languages. German / English / Hungarian

Demand A
Users can choose if they want to see the forum in one of this three languages
OK, that's easy. I guess it's just about setting up different templates.

Demand B
Users can also choose if they want to see entries in all languages, one or two. The languages of an entry should be displayed by a small flag.
That's what I was thinkging: I'll make more fields like TITLE_EN, TITLE_HU, TITLE_DE etc. I'll also make select boxes when new sites are added which languages the homepage supports. So far so good. But how I make the templates display the entries that user wanted to see (one, two or more languages). Is this anyway possible as I'm thinking about it? What about the categories - is it also possible to give them names in every language?

I would like to use the dynamic mode. Is that ok? Are there any performance issues to consider or is just about the visibility for search engines?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 7, 2006, 5:49 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [lapinkulta] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
Hi,

It does require a bit of work to do, but can be done. You are on the right track, basically on the Links table you need to add a separate column for each of the languages you want to support for the Title and Description. You can see an example of a user doing this here:

http://search.zorona.com/pages/english/business/

http://search.zorona.com/pages/arabic/business/

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
Thank you Alex.
zorona.com looks great and was for sure a lot of work. The answers i found already in the forum are based on the questions from zorona.com's webmaster.

What I want to know specifically is:

Can i give the users the option to choose if they see only the english entries, the english plus the german entries or all three languages (and of course in any combination they like - like hungarian plus english but not german)

Than i would like to mark the languages with flags. Like if a homepage has all three languages, than there should go all three flags also. :-)

The idea basically behind that is that the directory does only displays homepages that are relavant for the user, so if a user doesn't understand hungarian why should he get his categories "messed" with hungarian entries that he doesn't understand.
But on the other side a person that understands all three languages can also choose to display all three in the same time so that he doesn't has to browse through different sections like at zorona.com

I hope that's somehow clear enough :-) Please tell me if this is possible with one database and in dynamic mode.

Cheers

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 7, 2006, 5:49 PM
Quote Reply
This can certainly be done. To be more concrete:

1. In dynamic mode, you could just add a query string, i.e. something like page.cgi?d=1;lang=de+hu;
2. your link.html template could contain something like the following
Code:
<%if lang contains 'de' and link_language contains 'de'%>
<%set lang_de = 1%>
<%endif%>
<%if lang contains 'en' and link_language contains 'hu'%>
<%set lang_en = 1%>
<%endif%>
<%if lang contains 'hu' and link_language contains 'hu'%>
<%set lang_hu = 1%>
<%endif%>
<%ifnot lang%>
<%set lang_not_set = 1%>
<%endif%>
<%if lang_not_set or lang_de or lang_en or lang_hu%>
[ html for a link ]
<%endif%>

where link_language is a column in your Links table which stores the languages.

3. you would have to finetune this (with globals, or a plugin) to get the link counting right etc

This solution is not perfect, but it might give you an idea of how it could be done.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
thank you ivan for the great code.
I'll go ahead now soon and buy the software. than I'll try tweaking on this.

btw: if i initially install links now under a different domain name (like example.info) and i want to later on change to example.com is there any problem? i mean technically or with the licence?

the .com is currently in transfer and it can take some days, but i'm already to fancy with trying that i can't wait.

cheers

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 7, 2006, 5:48 PM
Quote Reply
No, that's no problem, you can just change your URL and path settings.

As for the license, I don't see any problems, but that's not for me to decide, ask Alex directly.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
ok, so @Alex
Will there be a problem with the licensing? I'm intending to use the first domain only for testing until the .com is transfered.

another questions. you offer also a fully translated german version. since i need english / german and hungarian would it make sense to buy the english version?

thx for help

Last edited by:

Quote Reply
Hi,

One license of Links SQL allows you to run one application of the program, but we do typically allow a test installation on a non-publicly available domain.

If you require any further clarification, please feel free to let me know.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806

Last edited by:

Quote Reply
Re: [Jack] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
Jack,

how does this fit to the answer you sent me yesterday where I asked for a german version of the template set?

Even we had purchased two english licenses in the past (when there was no german version available) you told us to get the german template set for another 150 USD.

Matt
Classical music on the net: http://www.klassik.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Brahms] 3 different languages and some fancy demands In reply to
The German version of Links SQL is a different script and requires a different license. It was created in partnership with our German partner, Malinet. The German version of Links SQL comes with more than just German templates, it comes with the entire admin and help pages translated as well.

If you want to switch from the English to the German version, we do ask for a small license fee because it is switching to a different product. Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Jack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Ong, C.O.O., Gossamer Threads, Inc.
9th Floor, 100 West Pender, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1R8
Email: <jack@gossamer-threads.com>
Tel: (604) 687-5804 Fax: (604) 687-5806