Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : PHP Front End :

Some thoughts on Reviews

Quote Reply
Some thoughts on Reviews
Alex,

I've been playing around with LinksPHP a bit. As you know I've been using a review system on my site for a while so I thought I jot down a few of my thoughts on the current review system (also drawing on the experiences on my site) Some of these things my be easy to do already, some may more be questions that suggestions, all of them are meant as constructive input and not criticism so I'll leave them with you to think about:

1) Add the ability for a review owner to modify a review.
2) When trying to submit a review for an item already reviewed. When prompted whether to overwrite the old review, add the option to modify the current review.
3) Summary of Review Ratings (not Vote ratings) on links page - how about a star rating that shows the average of all star ratings
4) How many reviews will be displayed per page? Add an admin option (like the one in Setup/Build options for links) to set how many reviews to view per page.
5) Add admin option on how to sort reviews. i.e. Latest review at top of page, "most helpful" reviews at top...etc
6) Add option to format review field - My reviews are typically pretty long with several paragraphs. reviews should be formatted , with line breaks as they were entered.
7) When clicking on a reviewers name, all their reviews are shown...but it does not show which link each individual review were written for!
8) Option to view the top reviewers (either by number of reviews or by usefulness of reviews)
9) Top reviewer icon (per i.e. Amazon. Icon next to a Top 10 / 100 Reviewer's name)
10) Ability to show the first x reviews below the link on the "detailed" links page, with additional review pages depending on the setting in (4) above
11) Option to replace the review number/ review rating chart with a different indicator. i.e. stars.
12) Delete | Edit review links to show up next to reviews for editors and admin to easily remove a review from the browser
13) Mark "New" and "Updated" (see 1 above) reviews just like Links

Alex - You guys have a really nice foundation for a review feature. Most of the functionality I mention above already exist for Links. With a bit of additional effort you can extend this to Reviews. I hope you'll take a little bit more time up-front and turn Reviews into a really strong asset.

Thanks for adding this! Can't wait to see the final result.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Some thoughts on Reviews In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! We will definately incorporate a lot of those into the final.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Some thoughts on Reviews In reply to
Excuse my english, maybe these features are mentioned above, bt i cant find them:

1. If u rate a review, it should go with a range from x to y and not only with yes/no.
2. Somewhere the votes for review should being counted and assed to the user, so another one could see, how many reviews a user has written with which votes (for the link), and which rates for the review itself. (You know dooyoo.de , there u find all this stuff)
3. Maybe its possible to write the first x words of y reviews directly behind the link (or at detail) so it makes more intrest to klick and read the rest.

Robert
Quote Reply
Smile

Alex,

I just wanted to voice my support to all the features Sangiro mentioned. I also have been patiently waiting for a more powerful review system. As you may know, I am still using links 2.0 with a review system. I purchased the links SQL quite a long time ago, but am waiting patiently for the review system described by Sangiro. You guys have done an amazing job, and I am already in line waiting to purchase your community package.

Regards,
Adrian
http://www.scutwork.com
----------------

waffle

Quote Reply
Alex,

Just took a look at Beta 2. Thanks for including so many of the suggestions on the review system. It's much more useful already. I'm sure you guys will continue to improve it. Two thoughts:

1) Review_Sort_Order: This does not exist and would be very useful. Although you can now sort your reviews by date, hits etc a setting of how you'd like them sorted (ASC, DESC, New,) would be very useful.

2) If you were to consider one more addition to this system before your final release, consider the ability to Edit/Delete a review. The rest of the stuff about viewing ratings etc is more cosmetic, this would be very useful.

Thanks for the good work. Speak to you soon.

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Jan 9, 2002, 1:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Some thoughts on Reviews In reply to
I noticed that there is a review_edit but how can you use it?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] Some thoughts on Reviews In reply to
If you attempt to add a review to a link that you've already reviewed, it'll prompt you to edit the review.

Adrian