Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : PHP Front End :

Users...and no passwords?

Quote Reply
Users...and no passwords?
Hi. I'm assuming this is not a bug, but more of a flaw *g*Basically, after links are imported a user is created for each link, correct? (from a links 2 import). The problem I am having is that it won't create a random password, but instead leaves the password blank...this is really annoying, as I don't fancy having to edit all 100+ users to make random passwords ;) Is the a simple way to assign random passwords now that I have done an import? I was thinking of maybe a MySQL command or something.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
Hi,

See:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=183191

on how to give each user a random 5 digit number as a password.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
Thanks Smile Worked a treat.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
Hi, need some further help to what you discussed above. I checked the command for updating the pasword field.

I would use the same command, BUT I do not want to change every singe password. Only the ones that are missing a password, ie where password field is blank and not Null!

This is again due to upgrading / importing database from Links2.

Could someone maybe help me with what command I should then use?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [demon] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
I'm not sure if this will work, but something like this should;

UPDATE Users SET Password = FLOOR(RAND() * 10000) WHERE Password = NULL

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply. Yeah that was I figured first but that doesnt work, since the fields are not actually set as Null but are simply empty, no password at all.

I can't figure out what could do it or if there is string/command which would work on a empty field.
Quote Reply
How about WHERE Password = ""

Unimpressed

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
YES! It worked. Perfect, thanks ever so much for your help!
Quote Reply
I hate to let my stupidity show, but I ran MySQL from the Admin panel and can't figure out where to issue the command? I need to reset the passwords ASAP :-)

Debbie
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
I'm not sure where exactly you tried issuing the command, but I would recommend installing phpMyAdmin; an indispensible complement to any MySQL-based program:

http://phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

It basically does one thing (and very well) -- administer databases. Much easier than wading through Links SQL's extensive admin control panel area, especially if you're not familiar with what you're looking for.

Once you get that far, issuing the SQL query from above (in the textarea input box, also known as the SQL Monitor in some circles, for the appropriate database) should update your passwords accordingly.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
Database > MSQLMonitor > Enter command in the box, and submit it :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Users...and no passwords? In reply to
In Reply To:
Database > MSQLMonitor > Enter command in the box, and submit it :)

I did that last night and it wouldn't work no matter what, now I did it and it worked :-) The wonders of cyberspace I guess.

Thanks!
Debbie