Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : PHP Front End :

How does this work?

Quote Reply
How does this work?
Is the entire links SQL script written in Perl and then we just have what displays the categories in PHP? I really need everything in PHP. What happened to LinksPHP?

Thank You,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
Re: [hacker] How does this work? In reply to
On the front end side (displaying categories, links, jump, etc), you have a choice of using the Perl front end or the PHP front end. The admin side of things is only available in Perl.

Adrian
Quote Reply
The entire user side is in PHP, not just displaying categories. The search, adding, modifying, reviews, etc. All of that is in PHP.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Paul, the PHP side is cool Smile I have been developing with it for quite a while, and for those of you used to PHP (I beleive you are, arn't you?) its great. There is so much you can do, and even keep the same interactivity from within your site (i.e if you have a PHP poll system on your front page, it can be set as an include with page.php with a simple PHP include() call. IMO its far more flexable than the .cgi version (personal opinion, before Paul or someone starts having a go at me...lol).

BTW: You may want to sort out your sig, its missing a [/ url] tag at the end Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] How does this work? In reply to
Well I will only buy links SQL if everything is in PHP as far as the user side goes. I really don't care too much about the admin side but I wanted it because I was going to write a editor mod to fit my needs. BTW: I think PHP is more customizable, no matter what Paul says :D. Wow been a long time since I hung around here, I have to stick around longer. One more quick question, do we still have to use the build function if we are running it with PHP?
Thank You,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
No, you won't have to build as everything with the PHP frontend is dynamic.

Adrian
Quote Reply
It will be nice to have someone else, other than me and Dan, developing mods for LSQL PHP too Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] How does this work? In reply to
Quote:
No, you won't have to build as everything with the PHP frontend is dynamic.
If I'm not mistaken, that isn't entirely true... A minimal build is still necessary to update some of the flags such as cool and possibly the main category counts.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] How does this work? In reply to
Well if this AD deal I am currently working on works out I will have the money to get Links SQL. Can you guys that are running it using PHP post your URLs here so I can see some live demos?

Thank You,
Paul
Webmaster Discussions
Quote Reply
I have just discovered the joy of working with PHP also and would like to see some urls of sites that are already using it, if anyone is! I am playing with a bunch of other php programs that are going to end up on CoolPetSites.com for article, photo, and other management tools.

Debbie
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] How does this work? In reply to
http://run-down.com/

Dan
Quote Reply
Thanks Dan! Nice site :-) Now I have to figure out how to implement it and maybe even integrate it with phpNuke. They both do things I want for my site to become an education resource and interactive community.

Debbie
Quote Reply
Quote:
...and maybe even integrate it with phpNuke.
I haven't tried that, but I would guess you're in for some significant challenges. Despite the PHP interface to Links it's basically a CGI script, and integrating PHP and CGI scripts isn't the easiest of things. Not to mention the challenge of crossing over differing programming styles, database structures, and keeping up with the moving target known as constantly changing code bases...

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote:
Despite the PHP interface to Links it's basically a CGI script

I just don't want people to be confused, the PHP front end is not a CGI script. It does not wrap any perl or any other code, it is 100% PHP, and you get all the advantadges of being PHP (code embeded inside of apache, persistent connections, etc).

As for integration, it's not to hard as the frontend uses PHP's built in sessions, so it would be easy to access if a user is logged in from within phpnuke.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] How does this work? In reply to
I suppose I didn't word that very well. What I meant is that only the front end of Links is PHP, with the bulk of the program (most everything administrative) being CGI. Reading already stored session data may not be too difficult (would require overwriting the existing code for one or both programs to look for the proper session variables), but what about things like looking up lost passwords, changing account info, placing the Links directory within the template output of another program, etc.? Anything beyond superficial tying together will take a lot of work...

Dan
Quote Reply
Well, I'm up for a challenge and any help will be appreciated. I would love to be able to integrate the search and user functions between the 2 interfaces so that users don't need to log in multiple times. The combination of LinksSQL and phpNuke is EXACTLY what I need for several web communities I am working on. I know there is a bridge program at sourgeforce, any idea if I can use it for this? They use the same database, is there a way to link Nuke to the lsql_Users?

If you want to see the basic beginnings of what I am working on, go to http://coolpetsites.com

Debbie
Quote Reply
Hi,

What I would recommend is:

1. Modify the create user function of php nuke so when a user is created it does an sql insert into the lsql_Users table to create a Links SQL user.

2. Modify the PHP templates so that all login, signup, etc functions point to phpnuke signup features (no need for Links SQL to handle lost password lookups when phpnuke has it already).

That should be it. As long as phpnuke uses php sessions, then if you are logged in to phpnuke, and go to any of the Links SQL functions, it will know who you are.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
What if user info is changed (or deleted and later re-added)? Maintaining consistent data could get messy over time with that approach... Much better would be to use a single User table for both, but that could be tricky.

Quote:
That should be it. As long as phpnuke uses php sessions, then if you are logged in to phpnuke, and go to any of the Links SQL functions, it will know who you are.
Again, that is assuming the same session names are used for each program, otherwise you need to go through and modify all such instances in one of them. I.e. $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['session_username'] and $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['username'] might mean the same thing but would not be seen as the same by the two programs. All depends on how session data and other cookie-type info is handled.

Sorry Alex, but I think you're extremely over-simplifying the difficulty in pulling off such a customization. :)

Dan
Quote Reply
I'm up for a challenge Smile

I don't have very many Nuke users signed up, so changing sign in procedure at this point would not be difficult. So I should have users for both sign in under Nuke? And link nuke users sign up to LinksSQL sign up? That way they all use the same table? And all my Links users will be registered and be able to use the Links log in to log in to Nuke? That would be perfect, I'll go look.

One problem, I can't run the command to convert the template files to php template files. I have Perl installed on my desktop, can I run it from there somehow?

Appreciate the help, if this works, even if it takes a lot of work, I will be a very happy camper. I think the two programs are both great and php is a language I wish I had discovered years ago!!! I have clients that this stuff will be perfect for.

Debbie

Last edited by:

loxly: Dec 1, 2002, 7:15 PM