Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
db issues
I may be overlooking something, but there appear to be issues with importing a database (after doing a clean install). When trying to import from a 1.x installation, v2.1b can't find links.cfg in the defs directory. When trying to import from a 2.x installation, it doesn't seem to recognize prefixed (table names) .def files and bombs out when looking for category.def...

Although I haven't gotten far enough to be able to do anything with it, I also noticed the same thing that RedRum mentioned about page.php needing to be moved outside the cgi-bin. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it automatically placed in the build directory?

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: [Dan Kaplan] db issues In reply to
Also, simply moving page.php outside the cgi-bin is not enough, as it builds the /cgi-bin/links/page.php into category links... Any reason not to build the linking with something like $PHP_SELF to allow page.php to be moved around easily?

Although I can't get the import to work, I was able to point the 2.1 installation to a set of 2.0 tables by changing the table prefix. Maybe that's what was meant by Alex's upgrade instructions in the beta announcement? I assume there are not any changes between 2.0x and 2.1 table structure?

Dan

Last edited by:

Dan Kaplan: Nov 8, 2001, 12:57 PM
Quote Reply
Yes there are changes - the review system for one.

I believe Alex meant when you do the install create a whole new set of tables with a prefix.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] db issues In reply to
The review system is a new table, not a change to table structure (from a cursory glance). I was mostly curious if the meat of the beta installation would run off old tables, since something appears to be wrong with the import (and I don't have the time or inclination to manually set up a bunch of categories and links just to test).

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

You can't upgrade an existing site to 2.1, only do a clean install. The upgrade will of course work when 2.1 is released. This is more of a preview for people to try out and get feedback on how php work for them, and how the review system works.

As for moving page.php, you should be able to move it into another directory fairly easily, the admin_path should be set during installation, so it should require any changes to the code to move it.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] db issues In reply to
As Adrian mentioned in the other thread, it looks to be more involved than that to move page.php outside the cgi-bin. It isn't immediately obvious whether or not $admin_root_path is what dictates the linking between pages. I would have expected it to be a URL, not a path... I didn't want to go blindly changing settings without first having figured out the way in which things are organized. :)

As RedRum mentioned, building the PHP front end in a manner which requires page.php to be run from the cgi-bin would seem to be a major drawback, as my understanding is that the majority of shared servers disallow that. I hope Links SQL isn't being developed with an eye toward only dedicated servers??

Regarding the installation/import, I thought importing a database was considered technically different from upgrading an existing installation? I thought upgrading referred templates, plugins, etc. Why would the import process have changed for the beta? I would have thought it would be exactly the same with nothing done to the new Reviews table...

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

Sorry, I was wrong about moving page.php to a different location. This is something will look at making simple.

As for upgrades, the issue is the installer, and the upgrade code isn't tested well, so I don't recommend upgrading.

You should be able to do a clean install and work off a 2.0.5 database, the only sql changes are:

- Review table added (which isn't supported in page.php yet anyways)
- ClickTrack table altered (which again is only to handle reviews).

To do this, just set your SQL settings to an existing Links SQL database with the same prefix, and just make sure you do not have overwrite turned on. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] db issues In reply to
Quote:
To do this, just set your SQL settings to an existing Links SQL database with the same prefix, and just make sure you do not have overwrite turned on
Yeah, that's what I already did. My 2.05 installation is still just a test install (running off a backup set of tables) anyway, as I didn't want to upgrade shortly before the PHP version came out and I haven't yet finsihed carrying over all my customizations from 1.1x...

Dan