Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : PHP Front End :

Problems with PHP in cgi-bin

Quote Reply
Problems with PHP in cgi-bin
Hi,

I'm having some problems with PHP in my CGI-BIN directory. Any clues? I'm guessing it has to do with a configuration setting in Apache, but I'm not sure just what. Thanks!

Link:

http://links.conline.net/cgi-bin/page.php
Quote Reply
Re: [quixotic100] Problems with PHP in cgi-bin In reply to
Yes this is a bit of a problem with the way it is extracted. By default it goes into the cgi-bin but many servers don't allow php in the cgi-bin.

I also can't use page.php due to this. :(
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Problems with PHP in cgi-bin In reply to
Ok, maybe im being silly, but isnt a cgi-bin meant for anything that iswritten in a Common Gateway Interface language? I always thought CGI wasa group of programming languages (such as Perl and PHP), which, if so, shouldreally all be allowed to execute in the cgi-bin. Maybe I'm completly wrong, soif i am, someone tell me so i dont make a complete fool of myself againTongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Problems with PHP in cgi-bin In reply to
"CGI" does not equal "Perl", "PHP", etc. or vice versa. CGI is just a way to call external programs through the web server. PHP is typically installed with Apache as a module, which does not use the CGI mechanism. Similarly, Perl can also be installed as a module (mod_perl).

Anyway, I've sometimes seen Apache configured to allow only .cgi and .pl files to be executed; that may be the case here. The web host should be able to provide the details...
Quote Reply
Re: [quixotic100] Problems with PHP in cgi-bin In reply to
I've just updated our copy over here to allow moving of page.php into other locations. A temporary 'fix' is to move page.php to your desired location, and changing db_cgi_url to reflect this change. This of course will make your Perl CGI version not work.

Adrian