Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : PHP Front End :

BUG in search.

Quote Reply
BUG in search.
Bug. Links PHP must limit the words of fetching,

for example if I to make a seek for a letter (a) it returns all links that he has the letter (a).

It would have to carry through a fetching with a minimum amount of words, equal linksSQL in Perl.
Quote Reply
Re: [Janio] BUG in search. In reply to
Sorry about the late reply. It's not really a bug, but a limitation of the PHP frontend's search. With the Perl CGI version, you are using indexed searches. With the PHP frontend, this is not available, and thus a simpler search is performed. If you turn off indexed searching in the Admin, then it will return the same results (as the PHP frontend search).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] BUG in search. In reply to
I know of other php programs that use indexed search... at least I thought they did. Is it just not available in PHP, or is it just that you all haven't added it to LinksSQL yet?

Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] BUG in search. In reply to
There's different forms of indexing. There's our own GT indexing and then there's indexing that's built into the database server itself, but since not all databases support indexing, we use our own indexing by default (I haven't really looked into the internals of GT::SQL, so I could be wrong). Our GT indexing isn't available with the PHP frontend.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] BUG in search. In reply to
You could always add your own indexes if you are running MySQL?
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] BUG in search. In reply to
We're not talking about SQL indexes here, we are talking about creating separate tables and managing the indexes ourselves. For instance when you add a link 'Google Search Engine', it inserts the word google, search and engine into a word table, and then also weights into a scores table.

The search the PHP version does is a full table scan i.e. Title like '%google%' or title like '%search%', etc. The perl version can do it 3 ways (full table scan, indexed like described above, or using the server's full text indexes if supported).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] BUG in search. In reply to
Hi

Pirate
Of that it advances a Front End in PHP if does not make an equal search the version in Perl?
For example: I have a data base with 5,000,000 of links, if I to search for the word (a) I would have 4.999.937 links as resulted, being that in the Perl I would more have a refined search.
Only that all my website is written in PHP and PHP works very fast.

Mad I would like to know if they are working in the correction of this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [Janio] BUG in search. In reply to
Again, it's a limitation of the PHP front end. Searches with the PHP front end are only available in non-indexed mode (See the Links SQL manual for the differences between the different modes). If you make the Perl version do a non-indexed search, you will get the same results. Also see README.php for differences between the PHP front end and the Perl front end.

Adrian