Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

www and public_html folders

Quote Reply
www and public_html folders
This is almost a bit embarrassing but for years I have had 2 folders, www and public html which seem to mirror each other. Never looked too deep into it until recently I have a inode problem.

Is this a quirk of gossamer in its rebuild ? I would like to delete one.

Tomorrow I will look more in depth at the folders contents as I need to delete one or other and they appear to be duplicates. Not related to my other problem but inodes are huge as a direct result of 2 folders.

PG
Quote Reply
Re: [pgtips] www and public_html folders In reply to
Hi,

It sounds more like your hosting, not GLinks. Its possible you have the folder "symlinked" to the other. Lots of people use www and public_html as symlinked folders). I certainly wouldn't risk deleting it.

Quote:
I have a inode problem.

Inode problem?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] www and public_html folders In reply to
Hi Andy,
yes it seems I had a duplicate install but not symlinked so I am rebuilding it all now.

Inodes I had > 165000 so on a shared server that became a overused resource. It took me a while to understand it as resources such as disk space and memory etc are extremely low but i got hit for inodes.

I think several migrations left me a lot of legacy files so a rebuild with a proper path in settings will solve this one. Maybe it will solve the other problem as well.
thanks again Andy,
Kev
Quote Reply
Ah ok. A good way to find out if they are redundant, is to remove the index.html from both folders, then run a Build All, and see which one gets built. Its then a reasonably fair assumption that the other folder is redundant.

What other plugins do you have installed? Its possible one of those is causing the issue as well (the Add_RandImage plugin of mine, the older version used to create static images - which clogged up the AddImages folder with thousands of images that never got removed - so could be worth checking that out if you have that plugin installed)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,
Been there with inode problems.
Here are some things you can do.
First find out whats your inode limit. Knowing that will help you see if you can realisticly live with it or not.

If each file is an inode youre using it up with your ID. Try running your site in dynamic mode. That will get rid of your builds and your inode problems quickly. Youll be surprised.

Another thing you cantry, are you using an outdated version of Andys contact plugin? If you are, it generates an AddImage folder that contains dozens of thousands of png images.
Update to the latest versión and youll get rid of those images all together too.

Just by doing that, youll be way under the limit.

Try it.

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] www and public_html folders In reply to
Thanks Juan,

I hope I have it under control after a morning of pruning and cleaning up, was overdue anyway.

What is the advantage of dynamic over static apart from inode reduction, I might look into this although its so long since i set it up i cannot recall why i chose static in the first place.

many thanks
Kevin
Quote Reply
I used to run static. Until it started taking way too long to finish since the shared account would kill the process afer 30 seconds.
Then I ran staggered. It too started taking too long. Plus I had to babysit the process in case it didnt finish, because if it didnt finish, it would break some logic in the site and it would show errors.

One day I contacted Andy to run dynamic. He gave me some tips and helped with the htaccess.
It was like night and day.
I could make 1 change to an ID and didnt have to run rebuild. The change is instant.
Pretty cool since no more rebuilding for many minutes and no more babysitting the process.

Ive only ran into one small problem, which I never bothered to come in here and ask.

Running dynamic, when I modify an ID, but it takes me a little time, sometimes I get the ID has changed and I have to start over. Its frequent with uploading images.

But I think thats the only negative side to it. Or at least I havent found any other ones.

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] www and public_html folders In reply to
Thanks,
I read it was a bit slower so i might look into some sort of speed test benchmark first of all, I'd guess there is a certain level you wouldn't go below.
Also how does google index dynamic pages, it probably doesn't I suppose.

PG
Quote Reply
Hi,

It will be slower compared to static pages (if you get mod_perl setup right though its still very fast).

Google would index the pages just like any other page (as far as google is concerned, they are static HTML pages)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk