Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
upgrade
Hi,

my links sql was installed just before christmas and I have really had a lot of problems.

How do I upgrade to the 2.13 version without overwriting the templates I have developed so far. I am pulling my hair out at the moment and in a month I have made very little progress with regards to going live.

rgds
Kevin

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] upgrade In reply to
Do you have a copy of 2.1.3? If so, just download the files in /admin/templates/default/local, and then when you run the install.cgi script, just enter the path to the old installation, and it will do the upgrade for you :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] upgrade In reply to
actually no I do not have 2.13, don't know why I thought I did so i guess I am stuck with what i have got for the time being as the latest download available is 2.12

Has anyone else managed to find any documentation on the payment page stuff or managed to get extra columns in the submission page bit. ?

rgds

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Has anyone else managed to find any documentation on the payment page stuff or managed to get extra columns in the submission page bit. ?

You mean : Database > Links > Properties > Add Column

???

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
yeah, I got the columns in ok but I have more than one submission page, problem is I can only call up the default one. Maybe I need to edit the add.cgi and have more than one copy.

What I am aiming to do is rather than spider the submited website I just want to allow a title, description and 5 keywords to be entered on the form and then only have those searched on to return the link (alleviates people with websites without the above or spammers who might submit trash sites) i.e I don't want to spider the submitted website bar making sure it exists.

rgds

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
>>>yeah, I got the columns in ok but I have more than one submission page, problem is I can only call up the default one. Maybe I need to edit the add.cgi and have more than one copy. <<<

Yeah, thats a pain to do. I'm taking it you are going to charge for some listings?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
you got it. 4 tiers.

I'll start to dig around the cgi file.

Out of interest how long does it take you to develop a template set. Is there a method of doing it I have missed as it has taken me almost a month to get this straight (and even now it isn't quite full on)

rgds

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Quote:
I'll start to dig around the cgi file.

I have a mod that will let you have 3 (or could be modified to work with 4). The only thing is, that it works with PayPal, and not WorldPay Frown

Quote:
Out of interest how long does it take you to develop a template set. Is there a method of doing it I have missed as it has taken me almost a month to get this straight (and even now it isn't quite full on)

I tend to start by just editing home.html, and the include_header.html and include_footer.html templates, as well as the globals etc. Once I am happy with that design, I move onto the category templates; search templates; review templates, etc. Its not an easy job, which is why I charge about $175 to do a set Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
<<Its not an easy job, which is why I charge about $175 to do a set >>

at least I know I am doing the right thing, would have screamed if there was a template program that I should have used.

Can I have a look at the add.cgi you have, it might give some ideas. I approached it a bit arse about face really and made a new page called add.html in the build area but obviously this isn't going to work so it was a bit of a waste of time really.

My plan was to have a addsite.html page that the user than chooses their package, add1.cgi, add2.cgi and so on BUT it doesn't hold some of the variables I need for auto assigning the category doing it this way.

A look at yours would be appreciated, if nothing else I will learn from it. Do you charge one off or annual. PayPal lacks in thsi departemnt for me. I ultimately want to use a combo of your expired links plug in with the future pay bit in worldpay, it's quite a manual process but IO can't see any other way of going about it.

Cheers Andy.

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Can I have a look at the add.cgi you have, it might give some ideas. I approached it a bit arse about face really and made a new page called add.html in the build area but obviously this isn't going to work so it was a bit of a waste of time really.

You can have a look at add.cgi if you want, but it uses a couple of other scripts too, as well as quite a few more templates; so I'm not sure how much use it will be to you.

Quote:
Do you charge one off or annual.

Once a link has been added, it won't 'expire' as such. If you wanted this feature put in, its possible.

I would offer to do this as a job, but my knowledge of working with WorldPay is a little limited. I've literally only set it up on a couple of sites, and they were with pre-made plugins/scripts :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
If you don't want to change your add.cgi script, you could just use your addsite.html page and link to it from the category like this:

<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/page.cgi?p=addsite.html&ID=<%ID%>">Add your site to this category</a>.

Then you will have the ID tag of the category available on your addsite page which you can pass through to the add.cgi script. This is how I do it.