Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

server status

Quote Reply
server status
When I change my Mysql password and click any links in my page it results full status report about my server including CGI Cookies and passwords.

I issume it will happen when my Mysql server break too.

Wondering why anyone should know my server status anyway

Second, where can I change my Mysql database password in Links Sql 2.01?

Thanks,

Quote Reply
Re: server status In reply to
Errr to change your MySQL password you have to tell MySQL to do it!

ie...login to your server using telnet as login to mysql as root and issue the following command:

SET PASSWORD FOR username=PASSWORD('newpassword');
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

......as far as I know Links SQL nor MySQLMan can't change the password for you.

Paul Wilson.
new - http://www.wiredon.net
Quote Reply
I know how to change mysql password via telnet,
That is fine

what happened is when I changed my mysql database password using my telnet,
Linksql 201 could not access my database unless I change its access password to mysql database,
So where in LinkSql can I change my database password?

That was my question ?
--------------------------------
Still wondering - in similar case- why LinkSql state my server status, CGI Cookies and password anyway

Quote Reply
You need to edit the mysql.cfg file, which is part of the MySQLMan application used in Links SQL.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
No, I do not think so,
MySQLMan is fine and connecting, I can change any thing there.

Quote Reply
Edit ConfigData.pm or Config.pm can't remember which

Paul Wilson.
new - http://www.wiredon.net
Quote Reply
Should be in ConfigData.pm

Robert Blackstone
Webmaster of Scato Search
http://www.scato.com
Quote Reply
Thanks; both files can be controlled in admin.cgi.

I am looking for changing mysql database password

Quote Reply
Hi,

First, Links SQL produces a lot of debug information when it encounters a fatal error (like unable to connect to SQL server). To not display this information, make sure either debug level is 0, is you have something specified as a custom error messages. Both of these can be set in Setup->Misc Options.

Second, to change the password Links SQL uses to connect with, go to Setup->SQL Server and change the information there. Make sure the first option (do not overwrite) is selected, and your data won't be touched.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex,
I understand how informative a lot of debug information via admin.cgi, but it is not the case when someone via page.cgi to review this information ..

The second solution I tried for many times, connection with mysql dies , time out, and finally TCP_ERROR.

So that either stopped me starting “initiate setup” from admin.

I do not have much data in my database, I do not mind if I reinatall the whole script form my root again.

Quote Reply
Before you re-install, you might want to consider doing a MySQLdump of your data, so that you can simply IMPORT the data after you get everything back up and running...

Just a suggestion...although I would wait for Alex to respond before going through the re-install process.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,

When your site is live, it is recommended you turn debug off, as it does improve performance. With debug off, any fatal errors that happen will not generate the debug information. Even better, you can specify an HTML message that a user will see when a fatal error occurrs.

As for your connection problems, what is the error message reported from Mysql?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,
Nothing specifically from mysql, just TCP_ERROR.
Mysql server is not at localhost and it address something like MySQL.mydomain.com

MySQLMan and other mysql based application working fine too

Quote Reply
Hi,

I'd need the full error reported (it will be output from DBI). If you can send me a URL to your admin, that will help me see what's going on.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi,

You have my datails in your e-mail.

Thanks,