Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories

Quote Reply
same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories
Hi linksSQL gurus, (2nd stupid question but...)

(HOW DO I) have a SAME subcategorie (say named C) of several categories (say A & B)

Home-->A-->C...

Home-->B-->C...

of course everything under C must be also the same

and that for static and dynamic ; no(t too much, preferably not) problem if it it copied twice in the static pages but ONLY ONCE in the database for maintenance reason

???

thanks - Fabrice
Quote Reply
Re: [fff] same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories In reply to
Currently there is no solution for this. At least I don't know about it.
At the moment the only solution is to copy.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [fff] same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories In reply to
build_category_yahoo may be the closest available option, which implements yahoo style related categories. You can see the option under Setup > Build Options.

It prefixes categories with an @ sign and when clicked takes you to the related category.

As far as I know, there is nothing as standard to do what you desire. You can copy links into multiple categories but you can't copy categories into other categories. Alex may be able to shed more light.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 20, 2003, 7:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories In reply to
thank you both

copy is not an option as the relation will be lost it also it must be done on a regular basis

I'll tried the related yahoo style suggestion with a redirection somewhere and hidding the '@'

will post info here for others if I get valuable solution

bye

Fabrice
Quote Reply
Hi Paul, Hi Forum,

I think I have something easy for GT links for the problem of directories (many questions in the forum)

and that with no copy as I ve seen in the forum.

the idea just use the power of the GT linksSQL templates and build engine :
  1. create a field called somethink like "alias" in the categories descrition -this field will contain ID of the "real" category-
  2. create a tamplate like alias.html containing only the client side redirection with meta of javascript eather with <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3;URL=XXXXXXX"> or with <script> document.location.href="XXXXXX"></script> (please see my question under about that XXXXX)

and now on every new instance of a category just have to
  1. -create with save name as original (to not perturb to much the user)
  2. -select the alias.html template
  3. -put the ID in the new "alias" field

so the only thing is the XXXX : what perl or GT code <%%> should be put here to redirect ; in other word : how can I transform the ID of the real category (red in the "alias field") into the real category path ????

that's it and all the subsubcategories will follow in the user's point of view

haven't tested yet but that should work ???

opinion ????

Fabrice
Quote Reply
Well, the basic idea of "linking" or "aliasing" is good.
I had plans to solve this problem in a similar way. However I did not need category "linking" yet, so I did not bother about that idea furthermore.

I can not tell you more about your suggestion at the moment, it would need deeper analysis of the problem & core codes...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] same subcategory (and under) in appearing several categories In reply to
Hi webmaster33 and all,

thanks, I think it has small downsides (a little confusing to users, google that don't like too much jumps, ...) but it can be usefull for many admins dealing with categories that do not want to do a copy and then maintain the copy up to date

no1 knows the tag or small global to convert any category ID to its static path ??? sorry I can't belive that and I just think the forum is busy at this time or that you are coding some great others improvement

Paul, Alex, Stealth, Pugdog and all other veteran and enthusiast...helppppppp

Fabrice

Last edited by:

fff: Apr 23, 2003, 3:23 PM