Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

running multiple links_links tables

Quote Reply
running multiple links_links tables
Hi,

I've been searching thru' the forums looking for info on running LinksSQL with multiple versions of the links_Links table. I have come across some postings related to multiple Links databases and some on multiple categories, but nothing that satisfies my query.

Our problem is slightly different. We want to run multiple Links tables from within a single version of LinksSQL i.e we want to have a drop down list of Links tables (what would otherwise be databases). Each entry in this list would in fact point to a specific Links table each with a different table structure. I am guessing that we would have to generate a .def file for each Links table and a different Category table for each Links table.

When a user wants to add a link for example they would select the relevant Links table and the link/category would be added to the correct tables.

The same process would apply to browse,modify and search.

Added to this is the fact that when someone searches our database if a link is found that meets certain criteria within a links table we want to display all other links (from ALL links tables) related to the owner of that found link.

Ideally we would want to use the existing, but possibly modified versions of add.cgi, browser.cgi, modify.cgi and search.cgi.

What would be the best way to go.......plugins or modifications to the existing code?

Has anyone tried to do this before? Was it successful?

Regards

Dean
Quote Reply
Re: [wobbly] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
Did you ever get an answer to this?

if so I would like to hear it...

Bent
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
Hi,

This would definitely require a bit of perl programming to accomplish. Not a trivial change at all.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
Is it expensive? Or is it maybe included in the next Links SQL version? Tongue

bent
Quote Reply
wobbly, bannerzone: Why would it be useful to have multiple links tables? What do you want to do?

If you want multiple links tables just for multi language support, then it is not worth to have links tables, since it also duplicates several fields, which are not required to duplicate.

The multiple Links databases I was talking earlier in the forum, was about having multiple links tables and category tables, each with own .def file.

For more info about multiple Links database feature, please read following thread:
=> Multiple database usage in same Links SQL? - Suggestion
and
=> Webmaster33's under development or planned plugins

In the near future it is not likely, that I will start developing of that Multiple Database Management Plugin or Mod. I'm pretty busy now with other plugin developments.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
The Plugin/mod that you are talking about, is Really all I want Smile !!!

I want to have the opportunity to have shopping links, recipies links, and the ordinary links, And I would gladly have it to use more than one MySQl dtabse. The host that I'm no gives 10 databases for the same price $5 a month, so it's not a problem for me, but could be for others.

I really hope that you some day will finish the plugin, because it's really wht I need.

The way i'm going to do it now it so add a lot of new properties for my links, and then on my detailed page only show the properties for ex. links with the property recipies=yes, in the /pages/recipies/ directory.

on my recipies.domainname.com I will make a redirect page to www.domainname.com/pages/recipies/, so that people can see them there. It's annoying, but I'm not a programmer or a template master, so it's my only way to do it right now.

So as you can see I would gladly see a plugin that you are talking about, except if it's too expensive (still a student *s*).

Take Care,Bent
Quote Reply
Started a few tests about using multiple links tables within one LSQL.
No final results yet, but I hope I will be able to create this Multiple Links Table mod.
Please be patient, I will post news, if I will have any success with it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
I currently import a limited amount of info from one links table to another. Having a plugin that would do this would be really helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
Both Andy and me have plugin, which can do import work for you.
First you need to export the old table, then use a plugin to import those you want.
My Admin_MultiAdd plugin does this work for each link, one by one.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] running multiple links_links tables In reply to
Personally I would need to be able to associate different Links tables for different categories.
This is not possible with the usual plugin way, but I might able to write a script, which does all the install work automatically. So this could be better named as a mod.
Also the install script should be able to be executed after each LSQL upgrade, so upgrade compatibility would be kept.

My main targets:
- ability to associate separate Links table for different categories
- inherit the associated Links table in subcategories
- automatic install (maybe uninstall, too?)
- installer should do the least changes in the core code, if possible
- keep upgrade compatibility

Using together with Category_template feature, Multi Links Table would make possible for me, to create different services in different categories.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
sorry- mislead you with that last message.

What I mean is I have several GLinks installations running concurrently and they pull limited amounts of information from each other's installations using a global.