number of pages / links per category

Quote Reply
number of pages / links per category
is there a max number of links / pages per category

just been importing links into 1 category, pages appear to stop at 25
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] number of pages / links per category In reply to
It should be unlimited. Well, limited by the download size of the page, and how many pages you want for each category. Are you sure you have the <%next%> and <%prev%> tags in your category.html template?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Are you sure its not just the span bar that stops at 25 rather than the pages?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] number of pages / links per category In reply to
I realise that this is'nt the best way to use / organise links into the cats - but this is what I did

(today I shall be reorganising the cats / sub cats to organise the links better)

I put 1950 links into 1 cat, making about 40 pages or so

if I look through the pages, alls well up to /more23.htm

/more24.htm is an empty page

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

/more25.htm

shows this Multiple Choices

The document name you requested (/Hotel_Directory/more25.html) could not be found on this server
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Interesting that the files are built into the root dir. That means, you wanted to configure that way?
First step would be to try this: delete more*.html files or move all of them into another directory. Move would be better if you don't want to delete them.

Then do a Build all and check if the errors appears again on page more24.html

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] number of pages / links per category In reply to
sorry - I should have put /hotel_directory/more*.htm

I tried build all several times.

just reorganisng my list of 2000 hotels into improved cat/subcat structure - was curious about why / how the build did not appear to build all the necessary more*.htm pages required for all the 2000 links.

"problem" that I have now is how to import categories?

can categories be imported in the same way as links?

tried importing through admin/database/category/table "import data"

got errors - posted message in forum for help / advice
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Let we make clear...
1) From where do you import links and/or categories? Links 2.0? Or something else?
2) If something else, what is the format you import? (Links SQL can import only from Links 1.0, 2.0, Links SQL 1.0)
3) What admin function do you use for import? Database/Import-Export ? You don't use any database manager to import links, right? Only Database/Import-Export would work.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply

1) From where do you import links and/or categories?

links - new site - from site I manully input 9 links / in LinksSql admin/database/table-editor/links-table-properties used "export data" listoflinks.txt

downloaded listoflinks.txt imported into Excel, looked at format, editted to add links (first trial batch of 10 links) info in same format, saved excel file as txt file, replaced tab delimiter with "|"

in LinksSql admin/database/table-editor/links-table-properties used "import data" listoflinks.txt

used "repair tables" + "build all" + checked website for the added links

repeated process in greater numbers, 50,100,200,500,1000 until I had 2000 links

This is where I realised the problem I had with the hotel_directory/more*.htm pages

Tried to do the same with category table, hoping to add additional categories into LinksScql - did'nt work.
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Yeah, I forgot it is also possible to import right into a db table using Database/Links Table Editor Properties/Import Data.

Yeah, it's possible to do export, edit in Excel, then import into LSQL. However it may happen it can cause errors, if you miss to fill some values, or value is invalid, etc. I also played with export-import, but that way sometimes can cause surprises.
At the moment I have no idea, what causes your error. I don't think LSQL has error in span page routines. It works fine for many people who added links manually or imported from Links 2.0.
I bet the error may be with your imported data.

I think the best would be to use an importer plugin, like Andy's Import Multi Categories plugin, which let you import multiple categories from a file. People who used says works without problem. Probably Andy will write a Link importer plugin if there is a need for that...
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=225439

Try it out, then you will see what was the problem.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 17, 2003, 3:06 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
think the best would be to use an importer plugin, like Andy's Import Multi Categories plugin, which let you import multiple categories from a file. People who used says works without problem.

Or use MySQLMan which is already installed which has the same options plus a few more.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] number of pages / links per category In reply to
OK, thanks for the help.

MySqlMan - would I use the same format txt file, as previous?
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Yes you would.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 17, 2003, 3:18 AM