Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

nph_index speed

Quote Reply
nph_index speed
I am running nph_index now, and in top it uses ~25% cpu. I have 8 cores in that machine, and top shows a total of about 1.00~1.25 load averages.

I am running a HIGHLY bastardized version of Links, and it takes me 8-10 hours to run a full index on 100k links. A LOT of data there being indexed.

So my question I guess is is nph_index throttled anywhere? Is there anyway I can tell it I have the cpus, go ahead and use more (and finish faster)?

Thans!

D
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] nph_index speed In reply to
Are you doing a full index, or just a re-index?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] nph_index speed In reply to
hey Andy!

Full!

Dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Any reason you are doing a full one? Been a while since I run an index on any sites, but I'm sure there was a way to run them with new links/modified ones?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] nph_index speed In reply to
For me, yeah. You know how funky my site is. I will d/l a whole "Category" and work on it, perhaps taking a basic series entry and adding all the extras- directors, full crew, etc. Or I may even build a whole new category off line- I use Excel. Then, once I have all the changes of the new info, I upload it, and import it into Links.

So all that new info needs to be indexed, to be searched. I have tried other ways, but for me, doing it all local in Excel is much faster than entering things online. And even if I did add things online (update Links set Director= 'Andy and Dave' where CategoryNum = '2341' to update a whole series, which is what I sometimes do), I would STILL have to reindex.

My install is weird. Not static like most installs. I am always adding new info. So, yes, for me, reindexing is a fact or life!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Have you considered duplicating the install, and then when you need to re-index, run it on the 2nd install? This way, there will be NOTHING else accessing mysql, appart from the re-indexing script.

From past experiences, the main reason for a re-index to go slow, is due to the fact people are doing searches/adding listings etc, while its running.

Maybe GT could shed a bit more light though =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I ran a few monster sites and drove myself crazy with indexing and re-indexing. After about 4 years its either Indexing Scheme: NONINDEXED or I make the site dynamic.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] nph_index speed In reply to
I have given that a try, too. I do not like it, either...
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase