Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

new install - new user

Quote Reply
new install - new user
Hi,

I have recently had Links SQL installed and I seem to be hitting a wall already.

Pay to add link - this is a feature of the latest program but I cannot find this anywhere even though I have got the most recent version.

No icons or images display - in my set up none of the paths to the images or icons are correct.

Cannot build - even though I have told the program to build all, nothing at all is displayed, my folder remains empty and I get errors either 404 or saying I am not authorised to view page. I have told it to build static pages but the static admin link just says "you are not authorised to view...." Dynamic is doing something but I don't want dynamic.

Cannot locate the sample templates within the panel, I could do with something just to get started as a reference as the defaults don't build and I don't have an index page. None of the free templates are listed in my program installation. (Why didn't I buy this through Andy Unsure)

I have built in html a page template that I want as my main page so I just need to integrate this in but it is proving very difficult no matter what I do.

Hopefully someone can put me straight on this, maybe the icons aren't supposed to display, have I got the wrong end of the stick with the build option and build doesn't make an index page and the free included sample templates are not installed by gossamer? All help greatly appreciated. I started to print the book that came with it but have run out of ink.

Thanks

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] new install - new user In reply to
Quote:
Pay to add link - this is a feature of the latest program but I cannot find this anywhere even though I have got the most recent version.

Is it? AFAIK this isn't supported until 2.1.3, which isn't actually out yet (2.1.2 is).

Quote:
Cannot build - even though I have told the program to build all, nothing at all is displayed, my folder remains empty and I get errors either 404 or saying I am not authorised to view page. I have told it to build static pages but the static admin link just says "you are not authorised to view...." Dynamic is doing something but I don't want dynamic.

In setup, under Misc try turning NPH Headers off. That normally sorts the build problems out.

Quote:
No icons or images display - in my set up none of the paths to the images or icons are correct.


You have probably just set your build path incorrectly. Make sure the /images/ folder isn't being built at root level of your site? I've had that a couple of times before.

Quote:
Cannot locate the sample templates within the panel, I could do with something just to get started as a reference as the defaults don't build and I don't have an index page. None of the free templates are listed in my program installation.

You need to login on Gossamer Threads Account area (provided when you purchase LinksSQL). Then enter your login details, and you can download a .tar.gz file which contains 3 or 4 template sets.

Quote:
(Why didn't I buy this through Andy )

Wink


Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] new install - new user In reply to
Thanks Andy,

I now have icons and graphics but still no build or index pages and error, forbidden access.

Changed the misc option to nph as previous thread but still only getting dynamic pages.

I sort of expected all this to be checked and operational after a install.

Maybe it is incomplete. How do I check.

I was convinced after speaking with Jack Ong that they would know it was the latest version I required, hopefully they will simply upgrade it and put the other bits right.

Rgds

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] new install - new user In reply to
Hi,

Did you "build" the site?

The program runs out of the box, pretty much, with a few configuration parameters, but like a car, you still need to know where to put the keys, start the engine, and put it in gear and drive.

But, like a car, there are always a few things that have to be "fixed" after you drive it off the lot.


PUGDOG´┐Ż Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] new install - new user In reply to
Hello PugDog

yes I did, - from my original post...

"Cannot build - even though I have told the program to build all"

don't worry for now I'll come back to this in the new year, have a good one,

rgds

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] new install - new user In reply to
Shoot me a PM on the 2nd of Jan 2004, if you are still having problems. I'll have a quick poke around for you to see if its anything obvious :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!