Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

limit number of span pages?

Quote Reply
limit number of span pages?
 How do I limit the number of span pages per category? lets say I only want a maximum of 15 span pages per category.
Quote Reply
Re: [drumstick] limit number of span pages? In reply to
Span links, or actual number of span pages? Not really sure what you mean (maybe an example)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] limit number of span pages? In reply to
actual number of span pages.
Quote Reply
Hi,

AFAIK, you can't do that. You can only edit the number of links shown per page. Not sure why you would want to do this? (as it would mean if links exceeded the 15 * number of links per page set, then the *extra* links wouldn't show)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
If I have 10 000 links in one category (50 links per page) then over 100 span pages will be generated. That's not very useful for anyone. So I want the script to stop building span pages after 15 pages have been built or after X number of links (15x50). That would be the limit for every category (when 15 pages or 50x15 links are reached). The rest of the links are kept in the database as usual.
Quote Reply
Mmm.. 10,000 in a SINGLE category is a real strain on GLinks :/ Its ok if you spread then out into sub-categories (m aybe 1000 per sub-category), but having such a huge number of Links, can cause issues with your MySQL load. If its running ok, then I guess thats fine - but just a warning Wink

Regarding limiting the number of pages shown on the span pages ... not really a simple way to do that AFAIK :/ Maybe someone at Gossamer could shed a bit more light.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
10,000 in a SINGLE category is a real strain on GLinks

Why? It shouldn't matter how many links are in a category.

As a side point, GLinks power is limitless. It's the resources it uses that has limitations.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Jun 2, 2008, 4:36 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] limit number of span pages? In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Why? It shouldn't matter how many links are in a category.

True - but from previous experience (even on a large directory), having over a few thousand links in one category (granted, these "links" were actually 100-200 line articles), it slowed down hugely on builds. I guess for normal links, it should be ok - but I still stand by my suggestion that you shouldn't have too many links in a single category, as its just poinless resource wasting, and you would be better having them in more targetted sub-cats.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Whether you have 10,000 links in one category or 2,000 in five categories it will still take the same time to build Crazy

Maybe he's using dynamic mode anyhow!
Quote Reply
I think you'd have to edit the code that builds the span bar to do this. There's no simple solution.