Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

filling out the forms using a MAC

Quote Reply
filling out the forms using a MAC
I have had several people write in and say they are unable to finish the Add form on a MAC computer. Appearently the categories drop-down box won't work. Has this been brought up before and is there anything I can do to fix it?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] filling out the forms using a MAC In reply to
I believe QooQ uses a Mac with Links SQL and as far as I know he hasn't had a problem.

What OS do you use?
Quote Reply
I set up links using a Mac and that's all I view our site with. Sometimes we had problems with the forms and Netscape on a Mac in particular.

Basically you have to have very good HTML code with forms and Netscape, meaning that you can't have open <td> tags without a closed </td> tag, and that goes for everything. Doublecheck the code that's been generated and make sure that everything is closed </....>, especially in regards to form elements.

Bryan
Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] filling out the forms using a MAC In reply to
Thanks. I'll double-check everything. :)
Quote Reply
I have been on a mac forever also. It appears that large category menues on add do not work with Explorer 5.1 although the pull down menu does work with netscape 6.1
Sort of bounce between the two depending on what area of the site I am working on.
Quote Reply
I'm having the same problem with netscape users. Using the select boxes on my "add-a-listing" form for categories, countries and states is a mess. All values are there in one big messed up box with no selection elements. Those users just can't add their listing and I end up inserting it manually Crazy

I think it's not the code as such. I saved the HTML file and uploaded it as a static page (not one created by the CGI). When it's static HTML it works just fine on netscape 4.5 (which is the version I'm testing on).

The exact same code doesn't work when it's a "live" page.

Check out those two pages with netscape:

http://www.meowhoo.com/cgi-bin/links/add.cgi

http://www.meowhoo.com/tmp/Meowhoot.htm - this is the exact same page, only saved as html and uploaded to be tested. I did this to run some online code checkers and that's how I found out it's working properly this way...

So, this is not a simple html code problem - all the table tags appear to be working properly.

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] filling out the forms using a MAC In reply to
Hi,

Hmm, one difference is that the HTML is compressed on the CGI page, and uncompressed on the static page. Can you try and turn compress off and see if it makes a difference? Also try it without the utf-8 in the charset, as there are some weird things going on.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] filling out the forms using a MAC In reply to
BlushBlushBlushAlex, sorry - have no idea how to do any of these...

How do I uncompress what? and what's the utf-8 and how do I get rid of it?

I need the "for dummies" step by step version please!

Quote Reply
To turn off compression, go to Setup->Build Options and set compress to No. To remove the utf, look in your templates and take out the line that says:<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] filling out the forms using a MAC In reply to
nope - didn't do the trick...

I changed the compress option to "no" and took out the offending line in the "add.html" template (it doesn't show in the http://www.meowhoo.com/cgi-bin/links/add.cgi page code any longer).

Ran "build all" before I checked.

Still having the same problem Unsure

Quote Reply
Alex - shall I reverse the settings back to compress?

any other ideas? Unsure