Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
encoding
Hi,

I'm reading in xml data into my database which is encoded using utf-8. When this is displayed on my pages some characters are not displayed how I would like - eg £ is displayed as £. I know that one solution is to change my pages to utf-8 encoding - however, this means that a lot of other characters are then displayed as question marks. I could do a global search and replace on the relevant columns in the database to display these characters correctly.

However, if I do this, when anyone else adds a link or review to my database and uses any of the relevant characters, any text files - such as emails - will display them strangely. I would like to know whether anyone has any suggestions for the best way to handle this? Is there an easy way to make the conversion from utf-8 encoding when I insert the xml entries into the database?

Thanks, Laura.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] encoding In reply to
After import is done, you may use my DirName converter plugin, which can replace those strange characters or strings, based on you replacement list...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
In case anyone has the same problem, I found this useful site of faqs for xml.

http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/...#encoding_conversion
Quote Reply
Great, that was exactly what I was looking for :) THANK YOU!

BTW the second example without the use uft8 does not work in my script but the first does.

Regards

Niko