Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

dynamic response time and servers

Quote Reply
dynamic response time and servers
What is a normal response time for dynamic pages? I have a small database (less than 2,000 links) and pages take 3 seconds to load, while static pages are nearly instantaneous. (I'm using the default LSQL template, no extra graphics yet.)

I'm on a shared server. I am wondering how much of a performance hit my server might be giving me. Anyone care to share load times for their dynamic pages? (Perhaps also giving the static time for perspective.)
Quote Reply
Re: [schonchin] dynamic response time and servers In reply to
On a dedicated server it could be instaneous. Not quite as fast as a static page, but fast.

CGI /scripts are server load dependent, and it's most likely your server.

Scripts are processed each time, while a static page is just kicked out the server unprocessed.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [schonchin] dynamic response time and servers In reply to
Static time should always be very fast. Apache can server a tremendous amount of HTML pages. If static is slow, then you either have bad connectivity, too large a static page and a slow connection (i.e. too much html/images) or a really overloaded server (move off this server quickly if static pages are slow).

Dynamic pages require running a program, connecting to a database, formatting results and outputing them.

Most virtuals should be able to respond to a database of that size in under 1 second. However if you have lots and lots of other accounts on the same machine, and just one of them starts using up all the system resources, your response time suffers.

Hope that helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.