Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

delete columns we are not using?

Quote Reply
delete columns we are not using?
Is there any trouble that I would be causing if I deleted 3 columns we are definitely not going to be using.

1) url
2) contact name
3) contact email

I just don't want to do something short sighted, but I see no use for these columns (for our content management purposes -- only internal folks will be able to update the system, and we are not using it for a links directory.)

Are there any problems with deleting these columns?

Quote Reply
Re: delete columns we are not using? In reply to
Hmm I think you would be safe to delete them but if you are not using them you may as well just leave them there anyway as they aren't doing any harm - then you can use them at a later date if you change your mind.

Quote Reply
Thanks Paul, I apreciate your help over the last few days. The problem is, that they show up in the admin when you are adding a story, and I want to simplify for my editors, as they will have access to this area sometimes. Is there a way to make them not show up when you add a link (or story) through the admin?

Quote Reply
Oh ok, I see.

You should be ok to delete them then. I can't think of a reason why not.

What you would need to do first though would be to backup the structure incase you need to re-create the columns. You can do that with MySQLMan by using the dump option but de-selecting "Write Insert statements"

Then delete the columns. You can do that from the Links SQL admin. Database > Links/Properties. Just remove the columns you don't want and re-sync/repair.

Please don't sue me if that doesn't work :)

Quote Reply
I found another solution. I just typed in (ignore field) under Form Display in the Database --> Links --> Properties --> column name.

This way, when it does show up, my editors will know to just leave it alone. :) Thanks again Paul. :)

Quote Reply
....glad you figured it out.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 10, 2001, 11:36 AM
Quote Reply
Weird:

the three columns that I added (ignore field) to, now have odd characters listed under form regex. They are all similar, but not exactly the same. I don't believe this was present before I made this change. here is what one of them says:

-----------------------------16197s: T9312Content-Disposition: form-data; name=

hmmm. I thought maybe it didn't like the parenthesis in the field, so I took it out. didn't change the regex. :(

Is this a problem?

Quote Reply
Hi,

No, don't delete them. Things like Verify URL's will generate fatal errors then.

As for the form input, that's very odd. It looks like a MIME message, or a file upload possibly? Are you using file uploads?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Yes, I am using file uploads. But not in the effected columns.

Quote Reply
Speaking of file uploads:

I had started a column called "Image" and then tried deleteing it. Then, I tried making a new column called "Image", but it said there was already a column called "Image". When I use the "Delete Column" link, the column of Image does not exist.

I just created a column called Image2 to "solve" my problem....but could this be another symptom of the same issue? Is there anything I should do?

Quote Reply
I think you can also just change the colum type to 'hidden' in the admin area also? This way it'll still be there, but just not visible?

Cheers,
Regan.