Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

category template problem

Quote Reply
category template problem
Hello everyone,

I had assign catA_category.html to one of my category's category template .
However, the category is not showing the template from catA_category.html

Last time i got this working.
This time, i can't figure out what went wrong and why it is not displaying the specific category template.

Anyone can enlighten me?
Quote Reply
Re: [gundamz] category template problem In reply to
You might check which is the default template set.
Take care to place the catA_category.html template into correct template directory.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] category template problem In reply to
It is the "default" template that is come with linksql.
:(
Quote Reply
Hi

I'm not exactly sure what your asking.

If you mean in the admin "Modify Category" form, you don't need to have the "html" at the end, its just catA_category

You will also need to have catA_category "template set" in your template folder where the default set is located.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] category template problem In reply to
i change from catA_category.html to catA_category . Hope it will work.

Quote Reply
unfortunately, it did not work. why is this happening so strangely for me? :(
Quote Reply
Hi gundamz

You need to supply more information so we may be able to help.
Explain the exact steps taken.
i.e.
You have made a new template set and uploaded this set to the correct directory.?
Can you see the template set in the Admin > Build > User Templates > Edit Templates area.?
You have added the name of the template set to the modify category form ?
etc etc.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Use the full name of the file: catA_category.html in the "category template" field in the category that will use the new template. Then make sure you have uploaded the "catA_category.html" file to the correct directory.

Should be in admin>templates>default>local (this assumes you are uploading files via ftp. if not then follow comments above by minsite)

Good luck,

Rich
--
HawaiianRainbow.com

Last edited by:

richonmaui: Mar 3, 2005, 6:00 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [richonmaui] category template problem In reply to
Further info from:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=162572

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, all you do is enter in the template directory into the 'Category_Template' field for the category, and it will apply to all subcategories.

So for a category Advertising, if you entered 'yahoo' as the Category_Template, then when displaying any category under Advertising, it would pull link.html, detailed.html, category.html, and subcategory.html from the yahoo template set.

You can also enter in a template name if you just want category.html to be different. For instance, if you put advertising.html in Category_Template field, then instead of using category.html, the program will use advertising.html to display the page.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] category template problem In reply to
I was mainly thinking he might be uploading his custom category page to the wrong directory if he is using ftp. Just pointing out it would need to be in the "local" directory in that case.

Rich
--
HawaiianRainbow.com
Quote Reply
the category is a subcategory of "root"
i check the thread you refer. I do a resync, it doesn't fix my problem.
i upload the template to "default" in templates directory
Quote Reply
Can you see the new template /set in the Admin > Build > User Templates > Edit Templates area.?

Do you want to use just one page or a set ?

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply

You really should let the Links software build your custom page for you at least once so you can see how it sets it up. Go Admin > Build > User Templates > Edit Templates area. Create and save your custom page. You will see that Links will place that custom page in a new directory called "local" which is INSIDE the "default" directory. That is the place you need to upload your custom files if you are using ftp.

From your problem it sounds like you are coming at this from a standard ftp upload background, and if that is the case Links definitely works different than you expect. It took me a few tries to figure it out.

Good luck,

Rich

Quote Reply
i had duoble check.
the template is uploaded and is show up at "default" directory , which linksql setup all the while.
that's why i find this so weird.