Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

build static pages without index in url

Quote Reply
build static pages without index in url
Is it possible to build static pages without index.htm in the url? In Links SQL 1.1 the urls of static pages ended with / , in LinksSQL2 they end with /index.html. (In other words I would like to have www.mysite.com/cat1/ instead of www.mysite.com/cat1/index.htm ) Can I change this in the admin? I'm sorry but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks
Andy

Quote Reply
Re: build static pages without index in url In reply to
No, this can't be changed in the admin. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to remove it?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I would advise not to try and remove the index.html from your file names because some browsers come up with 404 or access denied if you try and access a directory. Also I did this on another site and suddenly the host changed the server set up and every one got 404 pages!

Just a thought.

Jeffb

Quote Reply
if you change your extensions in the future perhaps? I use /index.php most of the place now but used to use /index.html so i need pointers moving .html to .php.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
Admin > Setup > Build Options

Scroll down for "File and Directory Options." What you want is "build index" and "build extensions" but I've no idea if it will work with PHP.

--Bri

Quote Reply
Bri, I understand that thats the place to switch from index.html to another filename (index.htm, index.php, ...) but not get rid of the filename completely i.e. not shwowing index.htm in the url. There has to be some sort of filename, hasn't it?
And, Alex, I want to remove it because I think it looks better (look at Yahoo). But I have to admit that its a cosmetic question ;-)
Anyway, thanks for your input!
Andy