Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
backing up
i guess i don't have to backup the templates before i import a new template cause theres a link to restore to default but I will backup all my links etc. How do i go about making a backup of my links? What do i put where it says location of backup file,etc? :-) i'm new to this so please help. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [SinisterX] backing up In reply to
Every time you do a re-build, the database is written to a Links SQL specific backup file, which can be run from the admin panel if you ever needed to do a restore. You may also consider using my Cron_Manager plugin, which allows you to set how often you want to run a backup of the SQL database, and then FTP's it to another server (optional).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [SinisterX] backing up In reply to
The path you enter is the path to the backup directory.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] backing up In reply to
Hi,

In addition to the automatic backup file that Links SQL creates after running the build, is it best to do an SQL Dump through MySQLMan also? I have some Links SQL modifications, etc. that include some additional MySQL tables that aren't a part of the original Links SQL installation, and I want to make sure that those are backed up also. Does it cause a problem to do an SQL Dump if the tables have tens of thousands of records in them? Also, is an SQL Dump the most efficient/best way to back up this data, or is there another better way?

--Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] backing up In reply to
This is not really an anwer for you Frank, but I noticed that database backups takes a lot place.
Just wondering why backup files aren't compressed into tar.gz or into zip file(s)...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] backing up In reply to
>> Every time you do a re-build, the database is written to a Links SQL specific backup file,

And as a corollary, if you run a dynamic site, and don't do "builds" your database is *never* backed up, and some of your tables are never emptied and reset.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] backing up In reply to
IMHO, at least daily backup (compressed into zip or tar.zg) would be needed when used dynamic site.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...