Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

adding categories

Quote Reply
adding categories
when you add a category, does it automatically rebuild the category table by itself?
Quote Reply
Re: [ThreadsGuy] adding categories In reply to
Its nice an simple: When you add a subcategory, the entry is added into lsql_Category .. Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] adding categories In reply to
I guess what I'm asking here is:

is there any directory structure/ bread crumb rebuilding going on?

If I have 10 000 categories or 10 categories, does the time it take to either update / add a category/subcategory differ? Does the system have to go and update some categories or breadcrumbs because of a change to one of the categories somewhere in the heirachy?
Quote Reply
Ah, I see. Well, there is Full_Name, which is held in the Category table. When a category is modified, a global update of all its subcategories, etc are changed too. If you delete a category, then again, all the subcategories are modified (or deleted, in this case).

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] adding categories In reply to
Is this rebuilding a long process? Any metrics on it?
Quote Reply
You would only really notice a slow down, if you have a hell of a lot of categories below it (i.e over 10,000 sub-cats). Anything less, and there isn't that huge amount of speed differences.

Quote:
Any metrics on it?

Sorry, don't have any :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Build All will rebuild the entire directory tree. Build Changed will only rebuild what has changed since the last build. If you add a category, it means rebuilding that category, and all it's parents.

Speed of building depends on many factors such as server speed, directory size, avg number of links per category, etc.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] adding categories In reply to
Hi.

Is it planned to add something like:

"Build New"

Which only builds the stuff that has never been built before particularly with respect to "New" links added. Actually with a pretty large directory (large number of links), the static part could become really killing while rebuilding after adding few links to a directory with 100,000 links say. Otherwise, with a large number of links, the static part would have to be given up coz of resources involved during a build operation.

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
==================================
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] adding categories In reply to
Hi,

That's what "Build Changed" does. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] adding categories In reply to
Hi,

How does the admin section handle having like 10 000 or 20 000 categories/sub-categories?

Any expierenc with this? On average, what do most people have in terms of # of cats?

If I wanted to import the entire Dmoz, how many cat's are we talking here? (that should be the maximum anyone would need!)