Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

You are still the love of my life

Quote Reply
You are still the love of my life
In the last years i have found another cms to play with 24/7, but in September 2020 i start a small new project with my beloved lsql. Now six and a half month later i have almost 4000 vistors a day from Google Search with some statslike shown here.

Thank you, GT, for this present, that changes my life in many ways. :)

Last edited by:

Robert: Mar 17, 2021, 4:56 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] You are still the love of my life In reply to
I still love using GLinks as well. So much more flexible than stuff like Wordpress, where you have to learn 101 things to make a decent plugin (and they change the methods a lot). Much prefer the GLinks plugins / global / template system!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] You are still the love of my life In reply to
Unfortunately i have still no idea about perl. But i have done all my tasks with php.
Quote Reply
GLinks is extremely awesome & with tons and tons of possibilities.

There are few other directories script/software/service out there that charges more than $ 100/month but when it comes to advanced abilities, they rarely come anywhere close to GLinks.

Also, I think GLinks 1. Template system & 2. Plugin system are something that makes it really unique, user friendly & SEO friendly.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] You are still the love of my life In reply to
Just to wave my hand, I am still here as well, still admire the good old LinksSQL beeing kind of unhappy to see it fade away.
Nice to see a couple of people still hanging around here.

Cheers

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] You are still the love of my life In reply to
My "links" grows and will reach the 20.000 in some days.
Normally i do only updates, but sometimes a full build also.
Today it needs 12 minutes on the console for the full build with a detailed pages.

BTW: Has someone tried to use the links with another system like foundation 6?
I use zurb's foundation to build the pages itself. I am still looking for another system with less problems, but the same posibilities. While i use the templates, i have to use some tricks also to make foundation to use all used css.

Last edited by:

Robert: May 31, 2021, 2:35 PM
Quote Reply
I'm still around and onboard with this.

Nice to see others around as well
Quote Reply
I use PureCSS (purecss,io) to make my themes and designs. Along with SASS, it makes it soooo much easier and more efficient (especially when doing media queries for resonsive/mobile first stuff

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I use bootstrap it works great.

Also, sometimes, if needed you can get existing themes/templates & modify them as desired :)

Vishal
Quote Reply
Bootstrap is good for out-of-the-box stuff, but its super clunky. I prefer to start from the bottom up, and only add in what I need :)

For example, no point having category related stuff in the homepage CSS. Much better to use modular SCSS files, and then include only the stuff you need =) Its takes a bit of getting used to - but well worth it

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
With bootstrap or any other css framework, one can also use csspurge type of service that will remove unused css. Have you tried that?

Vishal
Quote Reply
SASS is much better if you want to make a nice design from the ground up. You can customize what you want to include. For example, with PureCSS.io you can include _forms.scss when you want to have forms on a page. Or _tables.scss when you want to include tables.

It takes a while to get used to, but I cringe at the idea of editing pure CSS now (especially on responsive designs, where you have lots of media queries)

I'm not really a fan of Bootstrap or jQuery now. They are both super clunky, and waste so much resources with junk. Much easier (and faster) to use Vanilla JS, and SCSS/HTML Cool

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk