Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
XML
I want to set up a new site using Links SQL. However the links currently exist on a ASP driven database which belongs to a separate company. This separate company is keen to allow us to use parts of this database on our site and want us to use the Links SQL system. Can XML be used to feed the data into the Links SQL database directly and daily?

If yes - roughly how - what is involved? Is it easy, is it expensive? Is anyone doing this? Can you explain in plain english as I have to present this to my boss who understands very little about IT and I know very little about databases and XML technology.

Many Thanks!

Alex

Indigo Clothing is a t-shirt printing company based in the UK.
Indigo Clothing | Promotional Clothing | T-Shirt Printing | Embroidery
Quote Reply
Re: [IndigoClothing] XML In reply to
Does any one know? Unsure

Indigo Clothing is a t-shirt printing company based in the UK.
Indigo Clothing | Promotional Clothing | T-Shirt Printing | Embroidery
Quote Reply
Re: [IndigoClothing] XML In reply to
Yes it is possible.

I do use XML scripts to update my databases - I did think about writing a plugin but it took so long for me to get it working how I wanted on my site that I didn't want to even think about getting it working on someone else's. I know the script that I'm using isn't very robust - it just does what I want.

All you need is a script that reads in the XML and then writes the results to your database and finally removes any old data. You can set up a cron job to do the update once a day. Someone may do it as a custom job.

Laura.
The UK High Street