Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Where to set <%Meta_Description%>

Quote Reply
Where to set <%Meta_Description%>
I created a global called: "Meta_Description" and put some text in it; however, it has no effect on what is being displayed on pages?
Where do I set dedicated Meta_Description for each category? or at least for the entire site and for page builder pages.
I edited include_common_header.. but was not successful... and when I dump the page, I see Meta_Description in it!!!???

Thanks
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] Where to set <%Meta_Description%> In reply to
There's a Meta_Description column in the Category table, so that's going to get pulled into the templates. Your Meta_Description global is going to get overridden by the Category table value.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Where to set <%Meta_Description%> In reply to
and how about the home page that does not seem to have Meta_Description or Meta_Keywords and what about static pages that are built by page_builder plugin...

thanks
Mark
Quote Reply
Hi,

For the homepage, you can simply do:

Code:
<%if not Meta_Description%>
...show your "default" meta description
<%endif%>

...same goes for Meta_Keywords.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Where to set <%Meta_Description%> In reply to
Thanks Andy
Quote Reply
I created a Meta_Description global that only has text in it (a description of the site)... no sub or function or anything...
however, I can not see the Meta_Description tags exist or populated in the home.html or toprates...etc.
I even put <%Meta_Description%> in the home.html and nothing came out.. not tags showing...
Is the global suppose to be in specific way? like: Sub {lsjfjldsfjslfslfjk...}?
Thanks gain...
Quote Reply
Call it Meta_Description2 , then it should work fine =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thanks again Adrian and Andy...
Since the Meta_Description is referring to Category Description field... I added an else statement in the include_common_head.html
to say<%if Meta_Description%>... ... <%else%><meta name="description" content="<%Meta_Description_2%>" /><%endif%>
And created the global: Meta_Description_2 and that solved it...

Thanks again...