Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

What are hits?

Quote Reply
What are hits?
Hiya folks!

Ok, I'm having problems figuring out what exactly Hits are for a link. I would think it was unique visitors to a link detailed site or something like that. The thing is, we have a link in our database that was the first to show up on our Cool page, because it got 5 hits. We can't figure out what made it get 5 hits though. It's got no reviews, it's not even rated, and we have a lot of other products that have gotten several ratings, visitors, reviews, but barely any hits. Can anyone shed a light on this for me please?
Cheers,
Hans Jørgen
www.dicereviews.com
Quote Reply
Re: [perhaps] What are hits? In reply to
My understanding is that a Hit is when someone visits the site using jump.cgi?ID=x - when the visitor clicks, jump.cgi adds 1 to the hit count for the link ID and then forwards then to the site URL.

If you also have straight links (links that go directly to the site's URL without using jump.cgi) then they won't count as a Hit when clicked.

If you use both link types then only the ones linked through jump.cgi will count as a Hit.

Hope I've got it right, and it makes sense to you Smile

Cheers,
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] What are hits? In reply to
Yes, that's what Hits do.
Hope they don't provide a least a basic manual of instructions soon... Took me a few PAID days to learn and understand how things works and what is what!
I love this not user friendly things that provide me my paycheck.SmileSmileSmile

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Blondies can have brains (sometimes...)
Quote Reply
Re: [SaraBem] What are hits? In reply to
Bah. Since we use static pages, only Random Link use jump.cgi :P Makes the Cool page very ..um..dodgy. :P
Cheers,
Hans Jørgen
www.dicereviews.com
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Bah. Since we use static pages, only Random Link use jump.cgi :P Makes the Cool page very ..um..dodgy. :P
Well, you can count internal hits in static pages using a perl count script. Choose one that uses JavaScript to call the counter.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:

You can still use the jump.cgi script with the static pages - just point the url to it.

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] What are hits? In reply to
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You can still use the jump.cgi script with the static pages - just point the url to it.

r
Using jump.cgi in internal links you get TOTAL HITS= internal+external,
using any other cgi called by javascript you get 2 different counts. Sure you MUST have to create another field in Links table to track this.