Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Using the Frames plug-in

Quote Reply
Using the Frames plug-in
I have the frames plug in installed on my links sql. It shows a banner above the link so that the user can click it to go back to my site or they may choose to close the frames.

Will the traffic be recorded still as them coming from my site to the link site? Or will the frame block it, as they are still in some way on my site?

A lot of my links participants look at their logs to see where traffic is coming from and see me as the provider of a great amount of it; so, my question is, with using the frame will their site still record this traffic as coming from my links directory?

Thanks!

Kate
Quote Reply
Re: [KateSmalley] Using the Frames plug-in In reply to
Hi,

If you are using GLinks 3.2, then there is a built in feature, which should do what you want (instead of using my plugin Ask_Frames).

Simply goto:

Setup > User Options

...and find the option: framed_jump

Set this to "Yes", and then just edit jump_banner.html (I believe thats the template, without looking anyway =))

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Using the Frames plug-in In reply to
I saw that after I installed yours. Actually, I am quite happy with yours as I have it now on my site and it works brilliantly. But what I was wondering, with each of these apps, does it hinder the site that the user goes to from knowing that they came from my site?

In other words, I don't know much if anything about frames, honestly, and am wondering if they are actually going to the site and the hit on that site being recorded as coming from me or if they are masked by using the frames mode.

If so, I might just set the link to open in a new window so that my site remains underneath.

Thanks!

Kate
Quote Reply
Re: [KateSmalley] Using the Frames plug-in In reply to
Hi,

Ok cool. Well, yeah - it still tracks the outgoing hit - as jump.cgi is still called (and thus records the hit as normal :))

If you wanna try and make sure people keep track of your site, then this frame stuff is good - as it keeps them on your site (and they can still leave, if you want :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Using the Frames plug-in In reply to
Thanks, Andy! And, yes, I really love your frames plug-in. It was so easy to put up also and works in all browsers. GREAT, I am still tracked. Back when I had links 2.0 and had 900 links, I got a lot of return traffic from people seeing how much traffic I sent them. Cool