Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Unknown Tag: 'URL'

Quote Reply
Unknown Tag: 'URL'
I deleted that column from the database as I do not need it. In its place I added 'Phone'.. so people could add there phone numbers.

FOr some reason when I go in and browse through linksSQL and click a category... in the right frame I get an unknown URL tag error...

What template am I missing that I should have edited
Quote Reply
Re: [6foot4] Unknown Tag: 'URL' In reply to
It's not a good idea to delete the URL column.
It is a base column which is used in several functions, like duplicate checking, and others...

To find where the <%URL%> tag is still used, start a Windows Commander or any other software which can do text search in files,
and search for the <%URL%> tag...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
so even though you don't use it.. you should leave it in?

I can always add it back in...

I think i had a problem where it wouldn't let me submit my listing because the url field was empty. So that is why I deleted it.
Quote Reply
Yeah, add it back, but try setting it to not required...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Unknown Tag: 'URL' In reply to
It's my old problem, that Links & Links SQL always use the URL as Main field, tough Links & Links SQL can be used more widely than just for link categorizing.

The main field should be configurable in the Admin config, the URL field should be the default, but could be changed to any other field....

It is possible, that I will implement this config option into my plugins.
But would be better, that Alex & GT staff add the option into the Admin config.

May be better to open a new thread named "Configurable Main field instead the fixed URL field", if others would be also interested in that subject.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Unknown Tag: 'URL' In reply to
You can just do as andy said and make the field unrequired then simply remove URL from the add/modify forms.

That should work fine.
Quote Reply
The problem with implementing other fields, instead of URL is pretty scary and silly. Pretty much most of the extra features wouldn't work...including jump.cgi, verify etc. Its just like taking the contact email out stops you sending emails to them...

You see what I mean? Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Unknown Tag: 'URL' In reply to
Nope.
For example Duplicate checking also use the URL as main field. This makes absolutely unusable if your main field is not the URL field, but for examople the Description field.
I do not remember more examples, but there may be several other examples, where URL is the fixed main field in LSQL...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Unknown Tag: 'URL' In reply to
No, Andy.
You are right some features will not work, which was based on URLs, like jump.cgi, verify etc. (BTW, jump.cgi can be made optional, if the URL field exists, or not)

But you can use LSQL as news manager, content manager, classified ad manager, which mostly do not require URL as main field.

Do you see the reason? Unsure

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Dec 30, 2002, 3:38 AM
Quote Reply
I started a new thread for that discussion, so we can continue there (current subject was not correct for that discussion).
=> Configurable Main field instead the fixed URL field

Follow the URL.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Dec 30, 2002, 3:45 AM
Quote Reply
ok I added it back in.. but what do you mean about setting it to not required.
Where is that setting?

Cause I am getting this error..

Column URL can not be left blank.
Quote Reply
Go to:
Database/Links Properties
click URL

Set Not Null to NO.

That's all.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
still getting the error.... :/
Quote Reply
A column must be defined as not null if you want to index it.

This is the error I get now.... in link properties after changing it as you said.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Nope.
For example Duplicate checking also use the URL as main field. This makes absolutely unusable if your main field is not the URL field, but for examople the Description field.

Yeah but if you don't use the URL then you don't need duplicate URL checking Tongue
Quote Reply
But you may need duplicate Description, Title or other field checking... Tongue

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Well yeah, but what does that have to do with the URL column?....you can't check for duplicate description or title whether the URL is there or not, wihout doing some manual coding.
Quote Reply
Quote:
but what does that have to do with the URL column?
Hehe, nothing. Smile
The URL column does not matter if there is or not. We can say, the URL field is optional.

The only thing does matter, that the main column was the URL in Duplicate checking.
But depending on the project you work on, the main column should be changed, to be able to check for Description, Title or other duplicates...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Also set Column Index to NONE. Should work now.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support