Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Title with HTML coe instead of symbols

Quote Reply
Title with HTML coe instead of symbols
I have a lot of titles with Ampersands and such in them... and I enter them like "&"

So wjhen someone searches and one of these come up, it looks like this: The Poet & Peasant

How can I make it The Poet & Peasant?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Title with HTML coe instead of symbols In reply to
Hi,

Is there any reason you are doing it that way? & is totally fine in your HTML (as long as you use GT::CGI::html_escape($Title), or whatever fieldm, to convert " into " & into &, etc) . That should solve you problem if you do it that way :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Title with HTML coe instead of symbols In reply to
just always thought it was proper to use &apm; for &....

So I can just do an "Update Links SET Title = REPLACE(Title, '&', '&'); and suffer no ill effects?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Yup, that should be fine - just be sure to make a phpmyadmin/mysqldump backup of the tables first though - in case it doesn't work as you want :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Title with HTML coe instead of symbols In reply to
OK - I just want to make it sure it was HTML compliant or whatever! The SQL code is correct, that I am sure of!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Yeah, that should be fine :) As I said, make sure you run the fields that contain those kinda charachters in via html_escape() to properly encode it so your pages stay compliant :)