Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

The use of one LSQL database on different domains possible?

Quote Reply
The use of one LSQL database on different domains possible?
Hi!

Afaik, the license for LSQL covers the installation on one single domain, but I think I read somewhere that it's possible to use the database on other domains, w/out installing LSQL there?

What we'd like to do is a kind of a mirror running on other domains. The mirrors should look different, so other templates should be used.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Cheers,

sun
Quote Reply
Re: [sun112] The use of one LSQL database on different domains possible? In reply to
As far as I am aware this doesn't break the license agreement as long as you only have one version of the software. (I'm sure someone from GT will confirm?)

I have run other sites using the same LSQL program using rewrite rules.
Quote Reply
Re: [sun112] The use of one LSQL database on different domains possible? In reply to
>>>Does anybody know if this is possible?
<<<

Sure. You could just install several copies of LSQL (not sure where this stands on licence agreements), and then make sure that the database is synchronised (i.e if you add any new fields, you will need to re-sync your .def files.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] The use of one LSQL database on different domains possible? In reply to
You can definitley use modrewrite with some conditional tagging/ .htacces files and get what you want...
1st version:
You can have one installation of LSQL with a single database running everything. For example, you can have two domains running off the same LSQL installation, using mod rewrite to direct to the correct portion of the database.
2nd version:
You can also have a static looking dynamic installation where you run one installation with different directories, i.e. www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/files/search.cgi and www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/dir/search.cgi, where they look different, but are actually running off the same installation...
The second version is more difficult, but can be done. Be aware, upgrading to another version is very difficult on the second version, because it requires some extensive modification of the LSQL program...

</not a clue>