Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Template Folder Location

Quote Reply
Template Folder Location
Hello - I was just wondering how much effort would be involved to change the template directory to be in a location off of the root folder? With the way the template parser works, I don't know what kind of modifications or plug would be required. I want to setup a small editing program that will allow people to change certain pages content (snippet program), but don't like the idea of going through the cgi-bin to do this.

Thanks for any info on this,
Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: [stilton] Template Folder Location In reply to
Hi.

If the script was setup, so they only have access to a specific folder; it shouldn't matter where the templates are. They won't physically see the path (as the script would do the editing). I did this on one of my old sites; where I had co-branding going on. It was a basic login area, where they could modify the templates appropriatly.

It was far from amazing.. but it did the job =) Afraid I don't seem to have it on my laptop though... as this was going back a couple of years (otherwise I'd have been happy to share it).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Template Folder Location In reply to
Andy...you cease to amaze me! I feel like I have my own personal IT consultant sometimes, only you're faster than the ones I know Wink

The snippet program actually includes a configuration line that is supposed to only work in specified directories, but for some reason, it doesn't look where it should. I've tried contacting the owner of the script offering to purchase the paid version, but the support is pretty lax...I think it was a temporary project no longer in development. I can't seem to find the reason it won't work properly, so I thought I would see how hard it would be to make this kind of modification. I might try finding another script that can integrate as easily as this and still provide a good microsoft editor type format.

Thanks again,
Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: [stilton] Template Folder Location In reply to
Quote:
Andy...you cease to amaze me! I feel like I have my own personal IT consultant sometimes, only you're faster than the ones I know

LOL!

Quote:
The snippet program actually includes a configuration line that is supposed to only work in specified directories, but for some reason, it doesn't look where it should. I've tried contacting the owner of the script offering to purchase the paid version, but the support is pretty lax...I think it was a temporary project no longer in development. I can't seem to find the reason it won't work properly, so I thought I would see how hard it would be to make this kind of modification. I might try finding another script that can integrate as easily as this and still provide a good microsoft editor type format.

Yeah. I'll add a "External Template Manager" feature to my list of Plugins that I wanna get done =)

I can see it having quite a lot of uses; especially for people who want to co-brand.. but don't want the limitations of having to make the changes for them.

Again, I can't guarantee anything quick ... but I will look into it :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!