Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Structure Error!

Quote Reply
Structure Error!
Hi ...

After running 'Repair Tables', I noticed this message which I have never seen before

Code:
Category QWERTYUIOP should have 56 links, but is set to 0, repairing ... Structure Error!

I had just imported a batch of links using SQL Monitor, which has always worked well.

After rebuilding static pages, the link count for category QWERTYUIOP was still 0 instead of 56.

What is going on here? Which structure has the error?
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] Structure Error! In reply to
Hi,

The structure error means that you have a category in 'QWERTYUIOP' that does not have a father, i.e. an orphaned category.

I'll see if I can dig up some SQL that will help track it down better.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Structure Error! In reply to
This happens when you import the Regional category from the dmoz rdf. I found an orphaned link and gave it category info, but I think there were still others that caused it to fail. It would be very helpful if there was a way to find orphaned links and categories. That way, you could delete them, or give them the proper info they lack.

Sean
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The structure error means that you have a category in 'QWERTYUIOP' that does not have a father, i.e. an orphaned category.

Thanks Alex ... that was enough information to track down the immediate cause. It was an obscure error in the data ...

Suppose you are importing a category named Europe by Country, with sub-categories for every country. The country Full Names should be Europe by Country/Albania, Europe by Country/Andorra, Europe by Country/Belgium, etc ...

Suppose your import database was built on an OS which did not recognize, or was careless about, text upper/lower case. If one of the imported Full Names looked like this: Europe By Country/Germany, you will get a structure error. A small difference like that -- by/By -- is hard to spot visually, and does not cause a structure error on Windows, so is likely to escape notice.

I think Repair Tables should reconstruct Full Names from the Father IDs, and also eliminate duplicate records in the CatLinks table.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I think Repair Tables should reconstruct Full Names from the Father IDs, and also eliminate duplicate records in the CatLinks table.

We'll look at adding this in!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Is the Full Names column really necessary?
The data it contains is implicit in the hierarchy of Father IDs.
Quote Reply
"Full_Name" is a performance thing. With it, you know exactly where it is in the hierarchy. While you could figure it out each time, that would have an over head that you can save with a bit of extra fields in the record.

Because the "Full_Name" is also the disk location, it really speeds things up.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

I'll see if I can dig up some SQL that will help track it down better.

Alex,

Did you ever find a way of tracking down orphaned categories?

Sean