Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Spam
Greetings,

I dont' want to go into to much detail because frankly it comes down I believe to some kind of spam software.
What my question is to those out there, is do you get a lot of added links to your index that seem to be spam related.

It started off with a subject like this: ARRAY(0x9462908)

Title: my name is zet
URL:
http://bbc.tv
Category: Technology/Computers/Internet/World Wide Web/Searching the WWW/Directories and Portals
Description: Unknown Tag: 'Description'
Contact Name: ARRAY(0x95de374)
Contact Email: hjhpijhgfd@hipyewr.com
Remote Host: 145.253.2.236

But now it seems to be getting more and more refined. We do not require login to submit a link, but we manually validate every link ourselves.

Just wanted to know if anyone else is going through this kind of issue.
Thanks a ton in advance if you have any info.

Avery

Quote Reply
Re: [avery] Spam In reply to
Yup, I get a few of those per week. I also get "good site" in the title field as well. I just delete them but it is rather annoying and if it gets worse I may need to do something to prevent it.

They seem to be robot generated so you may want to look into something like
http://www.ultranerds.com/...ns/Add_RandImage_L4/
or some other plugin to add a random image generator. I haven't tried this particular plugin but I have had success with some of this company's other ones.

If you do try it and it works for you, let me know for future reference. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yeah, that does look like a robot spamming. The joys of not having registrations turned on for adding links Pirate

My Add_RandImage plugin should do the trick though, as it requires user intervention to enter the 8 character string correctly, before they can add their link.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [biglion] Spam In reply to
biglion wrote:
If you do try it and it works for you, let me know for future reference. Good luck.

We are using this now, and it works great. One of the mods you will need to have installed is GD.PM.
Andy was very helpful as I had a few minor issues setting it up but nothing big.

I have had zero spam from the search engine since the installation of this mod.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Glad to hear its working well for you Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!