Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Review updates

Quote Reply
Review updates
Hi,

Users of my site have just started to make use of the fact that they can modify their reviews and I'm not happy with the way this is working at the moment. There is no update field in the reviews database so once the reviews are modified, they appear as new reviews and lose the helpfulness ratings and it is not possible to see when they were first written. Is anyone working on sorting this out with the same sort of thing as the modified links? If not, do you think it would be simple to do?

Thanks,

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Review updates In reply to
Hi Laura,

While I am not working on this myself it seems like it could be solved.

You could create a seperate modify form and add a Review_Modified date to the Reviews table, plus anything else you want. By using your own form, I don't see that ratings would be reset and your probem would be on its way to being solved.

Create your form and put it into the template directory. Then pass it through GT pasrser together with the tags you want (You know the drill), and have a little cgi file to process the form and update the review. I am not sure if you know what to do to make this, but this is how I would go about it.

There may be an easier way, by using the in-built reviews system of course. There must be something which is causing the modify to reset the ratings, but if it is built into the code, then this sounds like it could be a bug. And if it is built in, and you don't want to modify the inbuilt code, maybe my suggestion above would be one way to go around it.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Review updates In reply to
Thanks Ian,

I'll have a go and let you know how I get on.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Review updates In reply to
I added a new column and changed about 4 lines in Review.pm so that the helpfulness numbers are not lost (losing them is built in at the moment) and the modified date is written to the new column instead of the date column and it appears to be working.

This seemed a lot easier than writing a plugin as I've already had to change the Review.pm file and the sub that I needed didn't have a plugin hook. Hopefully this might be included in future versions?

Laura.
The UK High Street